Help me! Still looking like pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Malmal, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Malmal

Malmal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    Hello everyone! I am Mallory and I am brand spanking new to this whole chicken thing. I bought my chickens from the TSC in April and at the time I didn't care what breed I had ( pure ignorance in hindsight) I just wanted chickens! I got 4 from the pen with the BIG WHITE chickens picture on it, and I got 4 from the pen with the brown and red hens pictured. 3 of my hens from the big white pen died, so that should have made 1 Big white Hen and 4 Red and Brown. Right?

Haha- That's funny.

Well now it is laying time. None of my chickens were what I picked out except for one, she is a GINORMOUS white hen who crows and is beautiful with the most gorgeous face, comb and wattle all bright red ( Still have no idea what breed she is) Two of my hens are indeed Leghorns, one of which is laying. The problem lies with the other 2. All Hens should be the same age, but Oscar ( we thought we had a rooster, sorry) looks just like a leg horn pullet.She has an extremely Small comb, no waddle and it is all pale pink!!!! [email protected]?!?!?!

Then Bob ( Aptly named because she had no comb up until last week) Has the body shape of my Huge white hen just smaller. But hardly any comb, and no wattle at ALLLL! WHAT THE HEY HEY?!

So My question to ya'll ( I will post pics in a sec) Why is it only one of them is laying now? Aren't they all old enough?

Why is my huge massive hen not laying but the little leg horn is? I know it may be due to her breed, BUT I still don't know what she is!

Why are Bob and Oscar Comb and wattle-less? Why do they still have heads of pullets? help me!
    Thanks!

2. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    If they crow they're roosters. I bought chickens from Tractor Supply and I thought they were Leghorns but I actually had Tetra Tints which is part leghorn anyway.

3. jaxia

jaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    Post pix! Im curious. It sounds to me that ur big crowing hen is a rooster? The way u describe it makes me think so but again im a chicken newbie as well.

4. Malmal

Aug 15, 2014
    I can't figure out how to posts pics off my phone! And even though dhe is named Lorenzo, she is totally a hen. She has no spikes !

5. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Young roosters won't have spurs or spikes as you called them. But a picture of her would clear things up. There is sometimes a hen that will crow but not often.

6. Malmal

Aug 15, 2014
    Hmm, I don't have a rooster,So I figured she was just being the dominant one like I read online.....there's my ignorance for you lol.
    I let them out yesterday to clean up their pen so they all followed me arounf and ended up on the porch with me. Henrietta ( See? I do have on hen that is appropriately named) Likes to lay her eggs while I'm outside on the porch I didn't realize it was time or I wouldn't have let her just drop it on my poop scraper....so pardon the pic lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Malmal

Aug 15, 2014
    The top three pics ^^ are the ones I'm talking about. HEre are some more of Lorenzo ( rooster in question)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jaxia

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    Im going to go with rooster! But again im no expert. And btw welcome to BYC :):)

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I agree, Lorenzo indeed looks like a handsome young cockerel.

10. jaxia

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    As to the others not having big combs and wattles. Im sure its possible that the bin had chicks of different aged. Were they all close to the same size when u brought them home. Also with you saying u took some from the "brown and red pen" and managed to have all white birds I think its safe to say errors were made. Ur birds with smaller combs look like the size of mine actually maybe a bit older and I got her in may. Urs are more red than mine but that could b bcuz mine is a dark bird and urs is white. Im sorry I cant help more. Someone here will be able too tho. They are amazing here :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by