Help me stock my chicken first aid kit

kimmerjo

Chirping
6 Years
May 15, 2013
western new york
I need a list of things I should have on hand.I would like to be as prepared as possible if something happens to my chickens. Could you help me out .
I'm new so anything will help .things like how to prevent mites , signs of a sick chicken. Thanks

I need a list of things I should have on hand.I would like to be as prepared as possible if something happens to my chickens. Could you help me out .
I'm new so anything will help .things like how to prevent mites , signs of a sick chicken. Thanks
When your chicken is sick you will know, they usually are isolated from the group and hiding in a corner, not eating, drinking some will be down.. etc.

I would definitely get some Blue Kote for any cuts and scratchs
Polyvisol without iron
Vitamin B Complete
I use 7 dust for external bugs
Ivermectin for Worming or Wazine
Vet wrap for injured or broken bones
Tylan 50 - antibotics
Oxine - used for cleaning purposes.
Vitamin E
Oyster shells for calcuim for those who have soft shells

Good lord theres a huge list of things, since you have no problems at the time, this list would be a good start for you..

I will respectfully disagree with the use of Wazine or Ivermectin as dewormers. Wazine is only effective against round worms and there are many other internal parasites your chickens will pick up. The effectiveness of Ivermectin is on a downhill slope in chickens, my avian vet does not recommend it. You might consider Valbazen, it will take care of anything a chicken can pick up. If you use that in rotation with liquid Safeguard goat dewormer you should be in good shape.

As far as first aid to keep on hand for chickens... I don't keep all that much. I use plain saline to flush wounds and then apply regular Neosporin (NOT the kind with pain reliever). If it's a wound that's visible to the other chickens I'll apply BluKote. We very rarely have any such injuries to treat here.

I keep Corid on hand, especially with chicks or young birds in case of cocci. Seems like stores are always closed when you need it and that's something you don't have time to wait around to treat.

My chickens have never had lice or mites but I use Garden and Poultry Dust and treat the coop twice a year anyway.

Electrolytes, like Save-A-Chick are helpful to have on hand in case of slow, stressed chicks or heat stressed hens.

I do keep antibiotic's on hand, I have Tylan 50 as well as Amoxicillin but I only treat with antibiotic's when I know, or have a very good idea, what I'm treating.

That's about it at my house!

Thanks I'm worried about mites and lice. My coop is wood . What is somethings to do other than regular duatings to prevent lice and mites?

I will respectfully disagree with the use of Wazine or Ivermectin as dewormers. Wazine is only effective against round worms and there are many other internal parasites your chickens will pick up. The effectiveness of Ivermectin is on a downhill slope in chickens, my avian vet does not recommend it. You might consider Valbazen, it will take care of anything a chicken can pick up. If you use that in rotation with liquid Safeguard goat dewormer you should be in good shape.

As far as first aid to keep on hand for chickens... I don't keep all that much. I use plain saline to flush wounds and then apply regular Neosporin (NOT the kind with pain reliever). If it's a wound that's visible to the other chickens I'll apply BluKote. We very rarely have any such injuries to treat here.

I keep Corid on hand, especially with chicks or young birds in case of cocci. Seems like stores are always closed when you need it and that's something you don't have time to wait around to treat.

My chickens have never had lice or mites but I use Garden and Poultry Dust and treat the coop twice a year anyway.

Electrolytes, like Save-A-Chick are helpful to have on hand in case of slow, stressed chicks or heat stressed hens.

I do keep antibiotic's on hand, I have Tylan 50 as well as Amoxicillin but I only treat with antibiotic's when I know, or have a very good idea, what I'm treating.

That's about it at my house!
Ive used Ivermectin for YEARS, never had an issue., I have heard bad things about using Neosporin, I personally will not use it for my chickens.

Electrolytes I agree!

I keep medications on hand I have corid for cocci and I have tylan50 for respiratory and I have tylamox for respitory and la200 as a general anti infective and I have levamisole for worms and oxytet for upper respiratory and galllimycine and sulphadimethoxine and gallimycine and vet RX.sprays I have vetericyn I have vitamins and probotic .I also carry sutures and a tube to tube feed if necessary. I carry calcium glutenate for egg binding and lubricants. I have gloves gauze and needles. I carry preparation H in case of prolapse. That's what I carry in my kit I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ive used Ivermectin for YEARS, never had an issue., I have heard bad things about using Neosporin, I personally will not use it for my chickens.

Electrolytes I agree!

Need to find that abstract on ivermectin for you... I sure wouldn't count on it getting much in the way of internal parasites after reading it.

-Kathy

BluKote for antiseptic/antifungal and to protect wounds from being pecked
Wood ash from the fireplace for lice/mite control
Permethrin sprayor powder for serious lice/mite infestation, for spraying coop also
Duramycin 10 and Tylan 50 injectable for antibiotics if suddenly a respiratory disease
Corid for coccidiosis
Pumpkin seeds for worm control; would get valbazen if serious infection
PolyVisol baby vitamins, vitaminE, and selenium for wry neck
Vet wrap
Neosprin ointment

I have hardly used any of these except for the BluKote, wood ash and pumpkin seeds, but diseases happen on holidays when the farm store may be closed.

Back
Top Bottom