Help me tell the sex on these? (more pics added)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marie_martin, Apr 23, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    First up are my Feb. swap chicks from muddler6, and I think all but one are boys?? The first one is the only one I think may be a girl. They are 6 weeks old.

Girl?
    [​IMG]

Boy?
    [​IMG]

Boy?
    [​IMG]

This is for sure a boy (the one if front) with the one from the top pic in the background. Are they both boys? Would a girl have any red at 6 weeks?

[​IMG]

Him alone:

[​IMG]

Another picture of the one I think might be a girl?

[​IMG]

Here is my new mille fluer d'uccle, I know nothing about these birds and only got one to hatch. Is there a way to tell male from female? It is about a week old now.

[​IMG]

And then the bantam barred rocks. I think I ended up with two males and a female.
    The one with the wider white bars is the female right? The narrow bars means male?? I have another one not in the picture too and it has very faint barring. You can hardly see it. It looks wider like the female but very faint?? So I will try to get a better picture of it. Though I had one.

[​IMG]

More pics of the wings on the barred rocks:

This one just has one dot on the head but the barring is wide.

[​IMG]

This one has wide barring but it is much more subdued:

[​IMG]

And this one has the narrow barring:

[​IMG]

Thanks so much for your help.

Marie

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

On Barred Rocks, the wider white bars mean male. That gives the bird an overall lighter, more grayish/silvery appearance. Your pic looks like a cockerel at the top and pullet at the bottom.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    The first 3 appear to be boys.

4. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Guess my barred rocks are defying the rules. The one with the tiny round spot has the wider barring which means boy according to the rules. And the ones with the larger splotchy white spots have less white and are probably girls??? Nothing ever goes like it should around here. Reminds me of a book I read with my kids about a crazy farm where the horse thinks it is a rooster and the pig thinks it is a cat, etc. You just never know huh?

I thought silkies were tough but I have about figured them out now. Just now use to regular combs and such I guess.

Marie

5. speckledhen

Dont you just love the confusing signals, LOL? You may have to wait on that one, but I bet the headspot is just small for a cockerel. Time will tell!

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Well that is always how I have picked the males from the females in the barred rocks. I know when you go to the co-op or farm store and see the sexed barred rock pullets, their head spots are splotchy. I have never agreed with the females having the more distinct head spot. Sorry Cyn, I have to disagree with you again.

Back on topic...the top three look to be males. And it look like you have a trio of Barred Rocks--1 male 2 females.

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well that is good on the barred rocks either way. As long as I get one of each I can deal with it. On the cochins. I have asked a couple folks that raise them and so far, I am told to wait that some girls will get a bit red early. So I will hold off a bit and see. I know that the one is way more red and much larger comb and wattles. Then there is one with a tiny comb and not much red, so I am pretty sure it is a girl. I hope to get at least a pair out of those. Keep you fingers crossed. As with everything else, patience will be the virtue here. Thanks for all your opinions.

Marie

8. speckledhen

Dustin, darlin', c'mere.... [​IMG] LOL, it isnt me you're disagreeing with, it's tons of written documents on sexing Barred Rocks. I agree that it isn't 100% accurate, never said it was. I also always say you can't take just one trait to sex them, either. Remember, I breed them. It works almost every single time. Almost every cockerel I hatch has a large splotchy headspot and the girls have localized/small/defined ones. Sure, there are exceptions, as I said, but it's working in my barnyard.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  9. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Good Luck...I can't wait until my black australorp are a little older.

10. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, like you said, some just don't read the rules. Obiously, you can see that the one with the small, well defined head spot has the wider barring, so one characteristic of female, one of male. The other two have a more splotch head spot and less white, so one characteristic of each sex. So I guess I got soem mixed up birds who did not read the rules!! Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help. I will just have to give them more time to see how the combs come in and so forth I guess. So much for sex-links, huh?

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by