Help me to relax!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Raiquee, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Hey everyone! [​IMG]

So, I am pregnant (26ish weeks) with our second baby, and this pregnancy has been a real rough ride. With my first one, i cried all the time. This one? I'm angry. SO angry. I need a way to control it. I have been channeling it into cleaning, but we have people who came to live with us this winter (the in-laws) not to mention our roommate (who has his gf, very nice girl, over all the time) and it's becoming too much. To the point where I have to go lock myself into a room to avoid having a full out freak-out on someone over asking me a question. Also, I notice I channel all this energy into cleaning, but then when DH grabs a snack and leaves the bag on the counter, I have a mini melt-down. I haven't actually acted out (yelling or otherwise) at anyone yet, but my gosh it's getting close. The volcano is about to explode!

DH's parents are lovely as can be but they are bored (being newly retireds) and seem to want to have useless conversations with me. Normally I would love to talk to them, now? Not so much. I literally find myself grinding my teeth to stop from throwing my arms up and snapping at them! I find they left a paper plate on the floor from giving the cat some wet cat food? I pick it up, toss it in the trash, usually (gently) kick the cat, tell it how much I hate it, and snarl about the whole ordeal for hours. I'M NOT NORMALLY LIKE THIS!!

Is there anyways to help me chill out? I give myself "time outs" to chill out, but I can only escape people for so long. Theres just too many people in my house! I don't think I can keep my anger level down enough much longer. I know i've been short with people lately, but they aren't getting the hint to leave me alone maybe? It's not anger as in like..aggressive behavior. It's like utter irritation. I don't think I'd be pushed to throwing things/hitting/etc. I am sure I could be pushed to yelling though!

Anyone else experiance this while pregnant? Or can just give me some helpers? Maybe a food that reduces tension/irritability/anger?

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Pick a time when you DON'T feel like biting somebody's head off, and talk to your household. Tell them what you just told us. They can't read your mind, and I bet they will understand - especially your MIL.

You know it's the hormones. They'll know it's the hormones. They'll also know to clean up their own mess, or risk a meltdown. The longer you wait to explain the situation, the more likely the top of your head is going to blow off, and they'll never know what hit them. That's not really fair to them, and it's certainly not healthy for you.

That said, keep an eye on your blood sugar. I turn into a total lunatic when my blood sugar bottoms out, and I was prone to sudden blood sugar drops when I was pregnant.

Now, take a deep breath, in through your nose, and out through your mouth. Repeat as needed.

[​IMG]

3. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Thanks for the [​IMG] and I do keep a close eye on my blood sugar, because I get really sick/dizzy if it drops. I can't say I can pinpoint it to a certain time...it's really constantly lol. What I do notice is it's very people specific. I can sit there and listen to my son babble, talk, ask me annoying questions and even have temper tantrums and I can usually deal with it. DH doesn't bother me at all either. My FIL asking me for a pen? Watch out.

I have told them that I am very angry this pregnancy, and I apologize if I say something that isn't normal of me to say, that it's the hormones talking and not me. I kinda hint to be quiet when they come in the house while DS is sleeping, although they always slam the doors, and to pick up after their cat. However, I don't want to be rude to them, which while talking is kinda walking on eggshells for me right now. I have to hold my tongue a lot.

Heres a situation that happened this morning:

Okay, inlaws have 2 autos (a truck and a car) and me and DH have 2 cars. Well, FIL asked hubby last night if MIL could borrow a car because he didn't want her driving the truck it needed repairs. FIL was using their car. Hubby says okay, forgetting we had plans. My car has been needing an oil change, but because of lack of money hasn't gotten one. So we were down to 1 car. Well I told hubby you forgot we had plans, talk to your dad. Hubby tells me after talking to them that "we are getting an oil change (that we can't afford) cause FIL doesn't want MIL driving the truck" okay fine. So this morning she (MIL) is talking to FIL on the phone and I told her DH was out getting an oil change on the car. I don't know if she was complaining about something, but FIL said "Oh, just take the truck!" I was like "NO! Take DH's car, we will take mine. This was such a big deal last night, and now we are getting an oil change we can't afford. So DON'T take the truck, take the car!"

So, being irritated by that (FIL knows we really couldn't afford the oil change, hence we were only using one car) and the big deal they made about it, I was playing with DS. He started getting whiney over a puzzle, and so I put him on time out. I picked up the puzzle and put it up, to give him a break from it. He came out, tried to grab the puzzle, I said no, He cried and I flipped out. I yelled at him and put him back on time out, and then promptly started crying for yelling at DS. DH came home and saw me crying on the sofa, DS crying in his crib, his mom taking his car, and he was probably SO confused. I felt bad. I probably wouldn't have yelled at DS had the issue with the inlaws not have come up.

Anyways, yeah. It tends to be very people specific. The in-laws being my main target. And their cat. I feel bad but at the same time they do bring a lot of added stress to the table right now. Maybe there is no cure all, but at least I can rant a little bit about it here?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by