Help me to understand why

Ar7ki

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2018
6CC7521C-D88B-4CA2-813C-746604377874.jpeg
2E7B479A-CAC6-4C2C-BB13-AB3A43E173D5.jpeg
Hello,
I have often come to this website to help me understand my mallard duck. We rescued him when he was about a week old. He has now grown up a to become a cuddly playful duck. The reason I have to make my first post is due to not understand one of his behaviors. I was hoping some of the long term veterans of the duck raising world could give me a few pointers.

The issues is this: He likes to sit right under my roommates baby swing. Which is causing little turmoil between the roommates. We have set him up with other places around the yard but no matter what he always goes back to sit underneath the swings. Is there a certain reason he’s doing this? Is it something that I can’t change? Or has he decided that this is where he’s going to stay no matter what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
7A77EC2B-33D9-4986-BE02-F3A00784D98B.jpeg

I think Miss Lydia's idea of putting a table or something similar out for him is a good idea. If you can take down the swing when it's not in use, that could help, or if it could be moved, that might help, too. The idea is to switch his favorite spot to somewhere else, and since he likes to be under the swing, it makes sense that he wants overhead protection. He's a cute little guy.

View attachment 1605431 View attachment 1605427 Hello,
I have often come to this website to help me understand my mallard duck. We rescued him when he was about a week old. He has now grown up a to become a cuddly playful duck. The reason I have to make my first post is due to not understand one of his behaviors. I was hoping some of the long term veterans of the duck raising world could give me a few pointers.

The issues is this: He likes to sit right under my roommates baby swing. Which is causing little turmoil between the roommates. We have set him up with other places around the yard but no matter what he always goes back to sit underneath the swings. Is there a certain reason he’s doing this? Is it something that I can’t change? Or has he decided that this is where he’s going to stay no matter what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 1605428
Looks like you might be in Florida if this is a recent picture. I think a small cheap plastic table or chair would be the ticket! You might have to temporarily move the baby swing but once your little duck gets used to the new structure he/she won't care

Last edited:
Not a duck person but i wonder if it is a form of protection from preditors from above. It could be intinct.
Maybe he likes that part of the yard as he can see in all directions.
Does he have any duck friends?
Maybe build him something with similar qualities and feed him treets there to get used to the new site so he knows it belongs to him.
Im just guessing as i have not had ducks for years. When i did there favorite place was my front door step to greet me nonstop and talk to me when i was in the kitchen. Not so nice for my doorstep!
Beautiful duck and pictures!

Back
Top Bottom