Help me trouble shoot...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SierraWakeley, Feb 14, 2017.

1. SierraWakeley

SierraWakeley New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Murdo SD
    [​IMG]

While soaking this morning I noticed this yellow thick patch.. was thinking Vent Gleets... she is now labored breathing.. not eating or drinking. I was giving her syringe with ACV And Honey she likes it but won't drink on her own..

She just lays with eyes closed... I also noticed mites... while soaking. Best treatment? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    For mites or lice permethrin 5-10% spray or garden dust are used to treat, and repeat in 7 days for mites, in 10 days for lice. Lice will leave white clumps of egg at the base of feathers. The other chickens and the coop will require treatment as well. Empty the bedding and replace with clean. Where exactly on her body is the yellow thick scab--on the belly, chest, or under the vent? A yellow patch on the skin may be thickened skin from irritation or from pecking. Lying on the floor in wet bedding could cause this also. It is hard to see clearly the area around her vent. Vent gleet from a fungal infection of the digestive tract, may cause red, angry skin with white or yellowish patches. I would stick to giving her plain water with electrolytes and vitamins, and taking plenty of fluids is more important than eating at first. Offer probiotic plain yogurt daily. Nustock, a sulfur/pine oil/ mineral oil mixture found at feed stores would be could to put on the thick patch or irritated area around the vent. Is she having diarrhea?

3. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    This sounds like coccidiosis. I lost many a chicken to this when I lived in N.C. It sounds a bit late for treatment. But I had the best success with Corid. Do not mix it up too weak or it will do absolutely nothing to save her.Just read and really calculate the dose. I usually isolate this one chicken so I can care for it and not lose it in the flock and also so it will not pass on anything. Good to treat the whole flock. Some people recommend pumpkin. With a situation this escalated you will have to intervene. So her dose will look something like 1 cup of water with like 1 tsp. of corid but read the instructions... Why so strong? She won't drink enough to kill the parasite per pounds of her body weight. Just don't go on my calculations. Realize she is probably not eating or drinking much and you may have to give her the correct dose. I like the corid because it is a sulfite drug and you can still use the eggs. At least the man at the feed store said it was fine. And wedid and everybody was just fine.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Yemimah

Feb 12, 2017
    And for the mites.... make a dusting area for them that will be out of the rain and elements. put ashes, diatomaceous earth and gardeners sulfur dust in it . They will dust themselves and it will kill all the mites. it is like a tray or narrow box with very low sides large enough for 2-3 chickens or they will squabble.4'x4'

1 person likes this.
  5. SierraWakeley

SierraWakeley New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Murdo SD
    She passed last night while I was picking up my daughter after school. Thank you for the info! I think she had a touch of pneumonia, and was to far gone before she showed any signs.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am sorry that she died. If you would like to find out what killed her, you can refrigerate, but not freeze her body, and send it to your state vet or nearby poultry lab for an autopsy (necropsy.) I can send you contact info if you need it.

7. SierraWakeley

SierraWakeley New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Murdo SD
    Thank you, that would be interesting! Could you send me any info on that.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. Yemimah

Feb 12, 2017
    It is spring time soon and chicks will be hatching near you. Another favourite place of mine that has a great chat option is www.meyerhatchery.com.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by