1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Me Understand....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TwoCrows, Sep 24, 2012.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I want to up the protein in my chicken feed as I am starting to have some low protein issues. At present, my feed has 15/16% protein and I would like to get it up around 18% to 20%, especially during this up coming molting season.

I have some organic egg protein powder at hand. One scoop is 25 grams protein. Here is where I am confused. How many scoops would I add to a pound of feed to get the protein up where I like it? And this goes for any other proteins I add. How do I know how much to add to bring it up to a level that I will know on average how much protein I am giving them?

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Math! The answer is math!

There are 453.592 grams in one pound. A pound of layer feed that is 16% protein would therefore contain ~72.64 grams of protein. If it were 20% protein, it would have ~90.71 grams of protein per pound. So, you'd add ~18 grams of protein, or roughly 3/4 of a scoop of your powder, per pound of feed.

2 people like this.
  3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thank you sooooo much! I was never very good at math. LOL And I will have to write all this down that you have written here and save it for future reference!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! [​IMG]

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

No problem. My chicken book also makes reference to using a Pearson square (Google will provide step-by-step for this) which is quite handy if you have two different feeds (like a 28% game and a 16% layer feed) that you want to mix to hit a target somewhere between those numbers.

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I googled the Pearson Square, and that is neat! I have in the past mixed gamebird food in with the chicken feed to raise the protein, but I was never sure how much protein I was actually putting in. But this little conversion chart will make it a lot easier in the future.

Thanks so much for your help!

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    When I need to add protein, I use turkey or game bird feed. You could also use unmedicated chick feed which is 20% protein while the turkey feed is 28% protein. The turkey feed could be mixed 50/50 with your regular feed for daily feeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by