Help me w/additional roosts

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EggyErin, Sep 10, 2011.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    I need more roosting space and have been wrestling all summer with where to put more, so now I'll bring my problem to the Halls of Wisdom and see what the oracles say.
    All the pictures are taken from the front door, which is at the far right of the coop's front wall. First pic: 3 nest boxes then about 5' of wall space.

[​IMG]

From corner to pop door is about 8'. Wall feeder could be moved.
    [​IMG]

There's about 2' of space between doorway and first roost. I could add on to what I have and put an additional bar from door to intersect the longest roost.
    [​IMG]

The bare corner is where I put the acclimation chamber (for integrating new chicks) but I don't know when I'll be using that again, so that's a nice open area. The waterer and feeder are about 2' apart so probably anywhere I put another roost will necessitate moving those closer together. I could put food and water in the bare corner but I think the chickens need to be able to move all around each container, right? Height of the back wall is 5', height of front wall is about 10' (I think). I need a configuration that will allow them to jump off without banging into the feeder or waterer. So...any ideas?

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  3. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    Those were good references. Thanks!

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Post pics when you finish... would love to see end result! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by