Help me weed out roos: 5 1/2 week Dels and LBs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by macmama, Jul 11, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Well I found a home for my 3 SLW roos, and I have someone waiting for more roos so if you can tell for SURE (or almost) I have more roos, please let me know!

They are 5 1/2 weeks, though they mostly free-range and ignore the flock raiser so they are developing a little slowly.
    1. LB #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LB #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Del #1 Roo? [​IMG] Of course my most friendly chick... had no color at all until a couple of days ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Del #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I thick 3 and 4 are roos. Also, I'll bump your thread so more people will help.

3. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    it looks like you have 3 hens and for roos sorry you might have too get rid of some of the roos

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's a bit early for the brahma's, but I'll say a boy for #1 and girl for #2 just based on comb width.

I think both Dellies are male.

5. Melissa034

Melissa034 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    1.hen 2. hen 3. roo 4. roo but I may be wrong on #1

6. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Darn it... I'm thinking you're right on the Dels, and I was so hoping for at least one to keep! I'm a little worried that both LBs are boys too-- I just read that if they have 3 rows on their comb they're roos-- is that true? Both of mine have 3 rows, though the side ones are super tiny and there isn't any color yet. Man that would be some rotten luck. I picked these 4 out at a breeder's house thinking I would get at least ONE pullet! [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both sexes have 3 rows. Males show theirs earlier and their comb is wider. Females don't always show the 3 rows right away and their comb look narrower.

8. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Oh thank goodness-- maybe hope for a pullet then. I'm still holding a little bit of hope for one of the Dels, but "she" definitely has a tint of pink this morning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by