Help me plan - new coop and schedule!

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
Ok so we are nearing getting the coop done roughly in the next 7 days is the hope inside the barn and had a few questions for you all.

Coop is inside barn with a short tunnel to the covered run behind the shed. No pics of tunnel yet to share the hole isn't even cut -- not yet built. Will post pics when I have them.

Girls are very used to the run they have been there since end of July. We haven't free ranged much they also have tractors.

I'm not overly concerned with them transitioning to the new coop area to sleep and see no need to lock them in with coop attached to run. Altho I could for a few days if needed.

But more with logistics of when to let them out into the run if food and water is left out there 24/7 and they get locked up at say 730pm. Even earlier come the dark of winter when it gets dark at 5pm their light would come on earlier in the am. I get the 16 hours of light and can do the math to set the timer etc as things change. Just looking for best practice.

They are new layers just started laying in past 30 days, would like to get them all laying in the boxes with winter coming and get them on a new schedule. Random eggs are found on run floor here and there. They all were laying in boxes at first in run, now some are laying wherever. With 4 boxes for 18 hens they all lay in 1 maybe 2 boxes occasionally with the others just sit empty. Yep I know that's normal too. We are out with them alot and boxes are always available. These boxes are open to the top so yes when they get moved inside the coop they will have more privacy and darkness in lay area which should help too. On it.

Maybe you will say go ahead and lock them up a few days to get them back in the boxes. That might make sense.

A light will be on a timer for them until probably Feb which confuses things for me just abit. I know I dont need to given its their first winter but I want to and if we don't wire it now we won't have it for future. Ask me how I know. 🤣 It seems like I read on here often they get locked up until 10am or 11am in coop to lay then out they can go once they have laid. So sure if the light comes on a few hours before sun is up it must be fine to leave them locked up a few hours to lay, no one is going to go outside to the dark run to eat or drink anyway they can't see. Yes? But mine are new layers are they are laying all through the day, even at 6pm. ? Hmmmm.

Are they going to get bored and start bad behaviors in the coop until they can get out into the run and spread out abit? I have to say these gals all grew up together and they get along really well right now. Roosts all same level no real issues for us so far. But they have food and water avail while awake.

Coop is 12 x 8 with nest boxes built outside of it which I thought helpful for more floor space. 👍 Large enough for options to bring in food and water on 25 below zero days if we choose to or to lockup anytime we need to.

If you had these conditions give me some ideas of how to schedule them once the new coop is completed. Yes I will post more pics when I have them. 😁

What would you do and thanks for all the great insight here over the past few months! 👏👏👏

Last edited:
Maybe you will say go ahead and lock them up a few days to get them back in the boxes. That might make sense.
Yes, that is what I would say.

I know I dont need to given its their first winter but I want to and if we don't wire it now we won't have it for future.
You can wire it now but not use the light until next fall/winter. ;)
Don't you need the power for a heated waterer anyway?

So sure if the light comes on a few hours before sun is up it must be fine to leave them locked up a few hours to lay, no one is going to go outside to the dark run to eat or drink anyway they can't see. Yes?
If you use supplemental lighting in the coop, best to have the feed and water in there too.

So sure if the light comes on a few hours before sun is up it must be fine to leave them locked up a few hours to lay, no one is going to go outside to the dark run to eat or drink anyway they can't see.
I let mine out most days @ 3am or so and they all most absolutely do pile out of the coop and go eat and drink. (With the exception of a few lower in the pecking order)

What they do after i leave for work (330am) I can't tell ya.

On days I don't work I am out there between 5a and 530...however if I don't wake up and go out there say at 6am there is always always ALWAYS 3 eggs laid. We have no supplemental lighting and the coop doesn't have windows (ventilation where some light can shine through but no natural light coming in intentionally) so I can't really comment on that, but mine seem to lay in the dark lol
They are new layers just started laying in past 30 days, would like to get them all laying in the boxes with winter coming and get them on a new schedule. Random eggs are found on run floor here and there. They all were laying in boxes at first in run, now some are laying wherever.
I didn't have to lock my girls up to get them to lay in the nesting boxes, just put ping pong balls in them and they (with the exception of 1 or 2 who missed the box the first go around or 2) have always laid in them. If you want them to lay in the nesting boxes, I'd do as you suggested yourself and lock them in there till abt 11am or so, although tbh I still have birds laying at like 330 in the afternoon when I get home from work soooo could work, should work..but alas no guarantees.

I don't even know if this is helpful 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Yes, that is what I would say.

You can wire it now but not use the light until next fall/winter. ;)
Don't you need the power for a heated waterer anyway?

If you use supplemental lighting in the coop, best to have the feed and water in there too.
I guess I’ve been trying keep all food and water and moisture out in the run so Was running an outlet there for the water.

That’s where I’m confused as to if they will go out in the dark to eat and drink And if I open the door at say 5 am but the light is on inside the coop but it’s dark in the run will they venture out there or not.

I thought not but some say yes which I was not expecting.
Hmmmmm.

That’s where I’m confused as to if they will go out in the dark to eat and drink And if I open the door at say 5 am but the light is on inside the coop but it’s dark in the run will they venture out there or not.

I thought not but some say yes which I was not expecting.
I don't know if they will or not.
Maybe if there is enough light coming from the coop light, or some yard lights.
Hopefully you're run is weather proofed from wind and blowing snow to protect the birds and electricity.

Mine is not, so I've always kept feed and water inside the coop.

I don't know if they will or not.
Maybe if there is enough light coming from the coop light, or some yard lights.
Hopefully you're run is weather proofed from wind and blowing snow to protect the birds and electricity.

Mine is not, so I've always kept feed and water inside the coop.
We will just wait and see what they do and be prepared to change gears.

Yes to wrapping run and option to add run lights if we want or need.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom