Help me with chicken tacos!!!*update supper pics!*

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NaomiSarah, Jul 27, 2010.

1. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I have half a leftover chicken that I marinated with cajun spices before roasting. I want to make chicken tacos for supper, so I need a little bit of help here.

1 - seasonings for chicken taco sauce? I make my own beef taco seasoning but the chicken taco seasonings from the store always tasted different to me. Now I like to make my own, but I don't know how!

2 - favorite toppings for chicken tacos? I usually just do lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, etc. I'd like to shake it up a bit!!!!!

3 - anyone have a good homemade salsa recipe?

OOH they turned out good.

[​IMG]

And the kids enjoying...

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the suggestions, I ended up kind of pulling inspiration from here and allrecipes.com, I ended up with a really delicious lime and onion chicken mixture with way too spicy of tomatoes that were delicious! The kids weren't much for the spice, but otherwise it was a hit! Thanks for all the help today!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    We top our tacos with cabbage instead of lettuce for extra crunch and also cilantro and of course home canned Jalapenos - they are the best on the planet.

Sandee

3. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    chopped cucumbers go great . Also mix some ranch with a little taco seasoning or taco sauce for sw ranch. My beef eater boys tolerate this. But I love it. I also skip the taco sometimes and do this just as a wrap. Could also use the meat for white chicken chili, mexican chicken pizza or...ok I'll stop--just love food.

4. NaomiSarah

Jul 4, 2010
    My family is picky (no cream sauces like ranch, alfredo or mayo) so I can't do the ranch, anyone else have a preferred chicken taco sauce?

5. NaomiSarah

Jul 4, 2010
    Quote:MEXICAN CHICKEN PIZZA SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!

6. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I'd try quesadillas also. I love to make chicken quesadillas by cooking or rewarming chicken in an oiled skillet. Add peppers and onions to slightly cook through (if rewarming chicken add peppers and onions at the beginning). I usually add salt, pepper, and garlic to the chicken also (If it isn't already seasoned). Then take a pan and put some oil (just enough to keep tortilla from sticking - so not much) in it. Heat oil and then place a tortilla in pan add chicken mixture and top with cheese. Add another tortilla. Cook until bottom tortilla is browned. Flip and do the same to the other tortilla. Enjoy! I serve it with salsa and avacados (or make guacamole).

Here's my favorite canned salsa.
    http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_tomato_salsa

Here's my favorite fresh salsa -- it's on my blog.
    http://clutehomestead.blogspot.com/search/label/APPETIZERS

7. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Double post

8. NaomiSarah

Jul 4, 2010
    Quote:That salsa looks absolutely excellent. I used bits of your recipe to make my spicy tomatoes, next time I have all the ingredients I'll make it from the recipe. The fresh one, I mean. Thank you!

9. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    You're welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by