1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me with my chicken quilt!!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by SloCrevs, Jan 17, 2008.

1. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    I'm doing a redwork chicken quilt. I've embroidered before, in fact I've done quite a bit of it. The thing I need help with however is pictures. I need pictures of chickens to trace and transfer to use as a base for my embroidery. So I'm here asking for pictures! I'm specifically looking for:
    roosters strutting around being their cocky selves
    hens scratching and foraging
    hens with chicks
    chicks in general
    roosters hangin' out with their flock
    and there is one that I really want, and if you have it, I will be eternally grateful.

The big one: I want a rooster crowing on top of a wine barrel. That is one of the reasons why I'm not just google searching. So if you could help me out, that would be awesome!

And I'll make sure to post pics as I go along. After this one is done I'll be working on a superhero quilt for my little bro. Thanks in advance!

-Sarah

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I have a picture of a rooster crowing, but he's standing on porch railing. Would you be interested?

3. SloCrevs

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Yes, that sounds good too. Thanks.

4. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sara,
    That's a terrific project you're undertaking! [​IMG]
    I haven't any photographs to help you, but good luck with finding just the perfect ones. Are you making this quilt for anything specifically? Sounds really ambitious.

I quilt other people's quilt tops and love to see them.
    Please post photos when you're done. This sounds like an heirloom [​IMG] so be sure to make a label for the back.

Good luck!

5. SloCrevs

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Thank you Carla. I just love doing "feminine" things that are lost to most of today's young people. I also sew my own clothing, and I knit and crochet. I can remember hand sewing clothes for my younger sister's barbies at 8 years old. I just decided I wanted to learn to quilt. I have one from my great grandmother, and it's gorgeous. This one is specifically for my stepmom's new kitchen. We're remodeling our house, and the kitchen is going to be chicken-style! That and I lov embroidery, so I saw the redwork design and knew it was for me!

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    how about hens foraging in snow I will go take one now LOL no roo here sorry I am getting wine crate nest boxes though I hope.

Henry

7. SloCrevs

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Anything is good!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here's a pretty good silhouette from a weathervane I had saved on my computer and an emoticon image:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. SloCrevs

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Yes, the emoticon is very cute, and good simple outline and details. Thank you Cyn.

-Sarah

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good luck! We'd love to see the quilt when you're done. Im a quilter myself, but my hands have too much pain now to do alot anymore, sadly. I do all mine by hand-machine phobia, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by