Help me with my chickens who are brooding duck eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SycolinWoodsChickens, Jun 8, 2011.

1. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We have FOUR broody BA's. That's out of 10 hens! [​IMG]

Since we have no roos right now the first two that went broody got duck eggs to sit on. The girls are not getting off their nests at all so once a day I am lifting them off the nest to eat and drink and run around screaming like crazy broodies!

The first group of eggs is due to hatch next Tuesday. All eggs have been candled and look like everything is developing normally. I know if you brood in an incubator you have to lockdown the eggs at some point (3 days?) prior to the hatch. What do I do with the hens? Do I lift them off the nest every day until I find a pip then leave them on the nest or do we just let them sit at a certain point until the eggs hatch?

I've read that in this heat we might have an early hatch. Is that true? Should that change what we do with the eggs?

I just want to do this right since this our first hatch and I want to do the right thing for both the ducklings and the broodies.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    *bump for broody expert [​IMG]

3. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Anyone?

I'm getting nervous now. Now sure what I'm doing and could really use some advice.

4. debbie.george

debbie.george Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Milan,IL
    Leave them on the nest and take food and water to her. But don't leave it in the box just let her get a drink and a bite to eat. When you lift her off it just like if you were to open the incubator. Hope this helps and good luck.

5. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks! I haven't had much luck getting her to eat and drink on the nest.

When would you just leave her be and try to get her to take some food? 3 days to hatch or now since they are due on Tuesday (or earlier with the heatwave?)?

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    debbie.george :

Leave them on the nest and take food and water to her. But don't leave it in the box just let her get a drink and a bite to eat. When you lift her off it just like if you were to open the incubator. Hope this helps and good luck.

x2​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by