Help me with my DH's anniversay present.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by conny63malies, Jan 6, 2009.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Our anniversary will be end of april. I want to uy him a pug. Yeah despite the fact that he is a battle hardend soldier he thinks that pugs,Chihuahas and english bulldogs are cool. Either they are so ugly they are cute again or they dont know how tiny they are and will jump a great dane.
    So the question is what should i look out for in a pug? Are there breed specific health risks? I wont be going to a pet store and i checked petfinder already all they have is puggles around here or very old dogs. So my choices are prett much local breeders. What can i expect to pay. I want a regular coled male and it doesnt have to be show quality as he will/would be neutered anyways.

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Your biggest problems are respiratory and eye... best of luck to you! They are a difficult breed to keep healthy!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Of those 3, of which I can't stand, I would have to say go with the english bulldog. Pugs make that nasty nasal sound and need quite a bit of vetrinary care. Chihuahua's are snippy, yappy, shaky little things. bulldogs at least don't have MAJOR issues - hip trouble like most pure breeds, but not the high maintenance the other two breeds are.

4. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Of those 3, of which I can't stand, I would have to say go with the english bulldog. Pugs make that nasty nasal sound and need quite a bit of vetrinary care. Chihuahua's are snippy, yappy, shaky little things. bulldogs at least don't have MAJOR issues - hip trouble like most pure breeds, but not the high maintenance the other two breeds are.

I cant afford a bulldog they are atleast 1800-2000$, we had a Chihuahua(who died of old age) and he was a darling, but with us having a 50pound dog an three kid a CHi wouldnt be too safe. My DH loves that snorting and snoring and would appeciate some slow walks to keep fit. Oh and my SIL is a vet tech so that will help us.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I cant afford a bulldog they are atleast 1800-2000$, we had a Chihuahua(who died of old age) and he was a darling, but with us having a 50pound dog an three kid a CHi wouldnt be too safe. My DH loves that snorting and snoring and would appeciate some slow walks to keep fit. Oh and my SIL is a vet tech so that will help us.

WHOA I had no idea they were so expensive. You were lucky to have had a nice CHICHI - some are nice, but most have tried to take my hand off, and I am the one most animals come to!

6. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:I cant afford a bulldog they are atleast 1800-2000$, we had a Chihuahua(who died of old age) and he was a darling, but with us having a 50pound dog an three kid a CHi wouldnt be too safe. My DH loves that snorting and snoring and would appeciate some slow walks to keep fit. Oh and my SIL is a vet tech so that will help us.

WHOA I had no idea they were so expensive. You were lucky to have had a nice CHICHI - some are nice, but most have tried to take my hand off, and I am the one most animals come to!

Most EB need artifical insemination and later a cesarian section and only get a few pups. Chis can be evil. I have seen a four pound one charge out a open door attacking a pit bull walking by with his owner. Poor lil pitty never saw it coming and jumped five ft back.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Chis are like banty roosters, theyd be dangerous if they werent so small. [​IMG] I like English Bullogs too. But never knew they where so exspinsive either.

8. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    This is the website for the National Pug Club.
    www.pugs.org
    If you scroll down the left side of the website there is information about the health issues this breed may have.
    Good Luck!

9. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:THe problem with those are they are enabling puppymills to produce more puppies. Going to the holmes county dog auction and "saving" a puppy there is not helping them. They are still as unhealthy and psycho-damaged . The puppy mill still made profit from the sale. I'd love them, but i might as well drive down there a bit myself , which i refuse. I refer to the ones from the first rescue, the rest are mostly bugs,chugs and puggles.....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by