Help me with my incubator please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantamduck, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Bantamduck

Bantamduck New Egg

Oct 27, 2010
    My Mom has 4 thermometers in the incubator and none of them read the same. Two are digital and 2 are old fashion. How do we know which one to believe??

2. Rjaym73

Rjaym73 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    How much different are they? Figure which one you think is close, and go with it. If you are hatching chickens then you can tell by when they hatch. All chickens (save maybe some seramas) hatch around 21 days, if the hatch in 20 days then you are a little too warm, if they take 22 then you are too cool. The thermometers will also read differently iif they are placed in different places in the incubator. I only use a thermometer to tell how consistent my temperature is, I tell by the hatch date how I need to adjust my incubator.

3. Bantamduck

Bantamduck New Egg

Oct 27, 2010
    They are all on the same shelf and I am hatching call duck eggs ... We have one therometer in the incubator that we always used to hatch our chickens in the foam kind of incubator and we know what temp it should read for a good chick hatch. Mom thinks we should stick to that one for the new incubator no matter what the others say. The digital say about 97.5 and the old ones say about 100

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. Rjaym73

Rjaym73 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    Well as far as I can rember they hatch at about the same temperature as chicken eggs, and in 26 days. I would go with the thermometer I know, and adjust according to the hatch date.

5. Bantamduck

Bantamduck New Egg

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks Mom Said she is going to quit fussing and let it be ... What will be will be and we will work on the temp to get it perfect later ... She also said she was buy a new thermometer.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by