Help me with some fencing ideas!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fernandez0067, Apr 24, 2009.

1. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    I have a good size coop and run for my 18 ladies... but they are so much happier when I can let them free range.

Unfortunatley I have some misbehaving dogs and I want to fence in the area so the girls can go out.

We have a regular 4' goat/sheep fence for our goats that we got @ tractor supply. It keeps the dogs out completley. I am afraid if I use the same fence for the girls they will jump/fly (or whatever you want to call it) over it. How high should the fence be / should I use electric fencing??? I am really at a stand still here because I dont want to buy something that wont work only to find out after I did allt he work putting it in.

What do you all use?

This is my coop & run --- the whole area around it and the treeline on the other side I want to fence in.

[​IMG]

DUST BATH!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    beautiful! those are some lucky chickens!

3. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    haha thanks! any ideas for the fencing?? [​IMG]

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    This is my fencing, my birds are locked up at night, so daytime predators are not a problem.

[​IMG]

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    They will fly out if they want on the other side. A friend just had her rooster fly over an almost 6-foot fence (and that was with one wing clipped). He was recently separated from some females that he wanted to get back in with. (He did have females in his new pen.)

Some say chickens are less likely to fly out of a huge fenced area when there is plenty to eat and play with. The dogs patrolling the outside may also help, but you'll probably have the occasional escapee.

Just a reminder that hawks can and will swoop into an uncovered pen to grab chickens.

I'm probably not that much help. [​IMG]

6. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    Thanks for the info.... I guess I will never get around the occasional escape... and honestly when my girls are out they are so occupied with the ground they hardly look up!

I could clip the wings if it becomes too much of a problem. But im goign to try it! Maybe this weekend [​IMG] its supposed to be 80 here in Upstate NY!!!

woohoo!

7. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    Quote:thx for sharing this Snakeoil you just gave me a idea oh no thats a very scarey thought
    how big is that run approx

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  8. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    It's 16 X 32 feet with an additional 14 X 14 foot leg on one side.

9. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    we have been talking about fencing in a back yard and your design has the brain working thx so much for sharing this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by