1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help me with the breed mix. It is 1/2 silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by queeniechick, Jul 26, 2014.

1. queeniechick

queeniechick In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    Portland, ME
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Could be part Cochin. But it looks to me like it is just a hatchery quality "purebred" Silkie. Where did you get it from?

3. Griffinsong

Griffinsong Songster

May 28, 2010
    Looks like a Silkie bred to a Silkie cross. the silkied feather trait is recessive so silkie to non-silkie mixes can not have them. More than half silkie, at any rate.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams 5 Years

I agree with BantamLover21 and believe that it is most likely a Silkie but pet quality. I have a 4 toed, single comb pet quality Silkie with practically no feathers on her legs who looks similar.

5. queeniechick

Jun 17, 2013
    Portland, ME
    They have 5 toes...but they are huge...larger than my black astrolaurps and buff Orpingtons. I got them at Tractor Supply. Learned my lesson, never again!

6. queeniechick

Jun 17, 2013
    Portland, ME
    Tractor Supply, big mistake.

7. queeniechick

Jun 17, 2013
    Portland, ME
    Is that her in your picture?

8. Teila

I am guessing you meant me as I have a Silkie in my Avatar?

Yep, that is her, well still not 100% she is a she, but 98% .. no eggs or crowing as yet but definitely not showing any signs of being a he [​IMG], she is 9 months old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. queeniechick

Jun 17, 2013
    Portland, ME
    She is beautiful. Mine do not have any crest at all, that is what made me think they are a mix. Unfortunately found out yesterday that one is a roo....and they both might be. Not sure what to do if they are both Roos.

10. Teila

Thank you queeniechick .. yeah, she may only be pet quality and have not enough toes, single comb etc, but I do love her to bits!

How old are the two in your pictures? When I first saw them, I wondered if they were roosters because of the comb and wattle size compared to Tina but as I have said, at 9 months of age while I still sticking with pullet I am not 100% positive, just waiting for that egg or crow.

From what I have been told and read on BYC, it is difficult to sex Silkies, especially those with a single comb and not good quality as they would not fit into a standard and could throw in some confusing attributes [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: