HELP ME WITH THE GENDER!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hiddenacres, Mar 18, 2013.

1. hiddenacres

hiddenacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    I have 3 new silkie bantams and 1 is growing way faster than all the rest and I left my camera in my office and will have a new picture of it tonight. The guy at tractor supply said that it was a female when he picked it up but it is only 3 weeks as of 3-16-13 and he looks like it looks like it already has wattles comming in and they are growing fast. If it is a too how do I keep it quiet furring the day and at night?! Thanks for the help and sorry for not having a picture yet :fl

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    ain't no way to keep a rooster quite, specially if there's another rooster with in a mile or so, as they will crow back and forth to each other [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. hiddenacres

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    I have the only roo within like 2-4 miles

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    He will still crow, and pretty loud too. I had a Silkie cockerel last summer and he was not quiet by any means.

5. hiddenacres

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    here is a picture of the one that is up in the air weather it is male or female and if its even a silkie and if so what kind is it? I am worried due to the lump under the beak and the otherside has one but not as big as this side so is it male or female????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    its a white silkie nothing pointing to roo or hen yet [​IMG]

7. hiddenacres

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    I believe its a hen sience the man at tractor supply were I got them looked for the gap in the wings and found one and said it was a hen but I am not sk sure any mores but he did find a gap in the tiny wing feathers showing a pullet not a cockeral so... is it a sign of a hen or what .
    :/

8. BorderBrigade

BorderBrigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    Have never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a wives tale. The silkies I had just watch for streamers in their crest an also the feathers on the Roos crest will be more swept back. The walnut comb will also start to come in. I thought I saw a few streamers peeking through on your one pic but they are hard to tell before 3 or 4 months. You could always send away for DNA testing if you must know in a hurry. Think it's about 20 dollars.

9. hiddenacres

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    Well I have had about 3 people tell me that if you find a gap in the wing feathers than it is most likely a hen and I kind of hope its true :fl

10. BorderBrigade

BorderBrigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    Could be true but nothing but time will tell especially with silkies really don't know until they either lay an egg or crow. You've got a while

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by