1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me with these 2 chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mygirlScout, Aug 21, 2008.

1. mygirlScout

mygirlScout Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I have 2, 5/6 week old chicks (brahma and a cochin-mix). I don't remember my pullets getting wattles at this age. Is it a dead give away for them being roosters?
    They have staring matches with each other and bump chests. They have reddish combs, but sometimes they seem more reddish orange than red, but there are definite wattle development on both. A pullet wouldn't bump chests or "square off" with a roo, would it? Gah, I just need to be 100% sure they are both roos before I swap them out.
    I can only find a recent picture of the cochin-mix, he's the black one in the pic. The other "suspect" is at the bottom of the picture, but you can't really see the wattles/comb too well.

[​IMG]

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. mygirlScout

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    [​IMG] Anyone?

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a pullet that would square off with the meanest of the mean roos. they were all the same age and I thought for sure that she was a HE. BUT, she is one of my finest layers, LOL. Oh, and she is very outspoken, too...lets me know right up front what she likes and doesn't like, lol.

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    same here . I had what I thought was a rooster from 6 - 8 weeks old when " IT " started getting comb . Today " she " is laying beautiful brown eggs . and she is a rir

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:the 2 in this picture are 5 to 6 weeks old ? Sure seem older than that

6. mygirlScout

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Quote:the 2 in this picture are 5 to 6 weeks old ? Sure seem older than that

Not the barred rock, she is older. The black cochin-mix to the left of the barred rock and at the very bottom of the picture is the brahma. Maybe it's the angle I took it at, but the cochin-mix and the brahma are the same size, the brahma might just be a tad bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by