Help me with these two babies please!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horseyjess, Jun 20, 2010.

  1. horseyjess

    horseyjess Songster

    370
    1
    129
    Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Ok so I have a Tuken hen that just would not give up the hope of sitting. I placed some little eggs under her because hey they were to small to eat and I didn't think they would hatch. I collected her eggs and everyone elses eggs except the ones I placed under her. The eggs were from chicks I had in a seperate coupe. The chicks that laid these eggs could have been only mixed with these. The chicks are only 6mos old when the eggs were laid. So that is why I was surprized that even 2 out of the 6 of these eggs I put under her hached. I also put Guniea eggs but they didnt hatch. Anyhow the two hens are the follwing one is a white Showgirl hen and the other is a Splash Silkie. The two Roos that were of age to breed were a black Showgirl Roo and a Black Frizzle bantam. Here are the two chicks we have who are thier parents best guess AND what is the color going to be of the lighter one? Oh the lighter one is a naked neck. Thanks

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

  2. Matt A NC

    Matt A NC Crowing

    3,085
    62
    269
    Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    You can almost guarantee that the lighter one hatched from the white hen. She is a recessive white. This type of white is not a color, but a lack of color. What color(s) could be hidden in her genetics is a mystery until you hatch chicks from her. It looks like it may be a buff partridge, but only time will tell.

    The other looks blue, but that may just be the flash. It might be black.

    Matt
     
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  3. Sonoran Silkies

    Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

    20,149
    320
    411
    Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The striped chick will be some variation of partridge, and I agree, its mama is the white. The blue's mama is the splash. If either ends up with frizzled feathers, you'll know who papa is.
     
  4. horseyjess

    horseyjess Songster

    370
    1
    129
    Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Thanks it will be neat to see anyway! One other question if one of the parents is a naked neck arent the offspring always naked necks?
     
  5. Matt A NC

    Matt A NC Crowing

    3,085
    62
    269
    Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:No. I don't know all the genetics, but there are percentages of naked neck and not depending on the parentage.

    Matt
     
  6. Panhanle RIR

    Panhanle RIR Songster

    142
    0
    109
    Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    Quote:No. I don't know all the genetics, but there are percentages of naked neck and not depending on the parentage.

    Matt

    yes they are always Naked Neck because the NN gene is a dominate gene
     
  7. Sonoran Silkies

    Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

    20,149
    320
    411
    Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:No. I don't know all the genetics, but there are percentages of naked neck and not depending on the parentage.

    Matt

    yes they are always Naked Neck because the NN gene is a dominate gene

    However, thta is only if they inherit it. Many naked neck breeders prefer the look of a heterozygous bird (one copy of hte gene), so half the offspring of a het naked neck bird will not receive the gene. Mated to a non-naked neck, that 50% stands. Mated to another het naked neck, 25% will not inherit it from either parent and 25% will inherit it from both. 50% will inherit frmo one parent or the other, but not both, and be het.

    By the way, the proper abbreviation for the gene is Na, not NN, which implies a bird homozygous for sex-linked naked (specifically the wildtype not-naked allele) gene, which is something entirely different.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by