Help me with this poor little chicky!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cha Cha Chicken, May 21, 2011.

1. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Okay, I'm raising a replacement silkie chick for my flock, as I traded one of my larger "bully" chickens at a show. she's around 6 - 7 weeks old and weighs only a little less than 7 oz..... I have a feeling Silkie chicks around this age should be bigger. she has food and water 24/7...... any input on how big your silkie chicks were at this age? any food I can feed her to boost her size/strength? she just looks so feeble... Oh, and I will not cull her.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. Cha Cha Chicken

Sep 5, 2010
    Anyone? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  3. Cha Cha Chicken

Sep 5, 2010
    Oh, and she eats Purina Start and Grow un-medicated feed.

4. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    did you ever get a reply? how is she doing?

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Best guess is that a 7 week old silkie should be 5-10 ounces, depending on the line and condition of the chick.

If it is acting like a normal chick I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes you will get a slow grower. Most chicks will go through a growth spirt right around the 10 week mark. This is not exact, every bird is different.

Matt

6. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    Sorry, I don't really know much about silkies. Hopefully, you get some answers. [​IMG]

7. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I have 7 Silkies and when they were chicks one or two were extra small. One was a runt that I lost after just a few days, but the other one, although small, was healthy and active and turned out just fine. I wouldn't base the concern so much on the weight, but the overall appearance of the chick... you said she looks feeble? Feeble because she's small or actually lethargic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by