HELP ME!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gardenzoo44, Aug 28, 2016.

1. gardenzoo44

gardenzoo44 New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    At the start of June I hatched two little chicks.
    Their feathers grew fast, they didn't fight and didn't cockerdoodle
    We were sure they were girls.
    After returning from holiday, one of them is a full on multicoloured cockadoodling Cockrel
    But my other one is a light brown, rather large comb but not overly , no tail feathers and hasn't coxjadooded yet but my other one is chasing him/her. Is she/he a she or he?!?

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You have one cockerel and one pullet.

3. Shaunassy

Shaunassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Fl
    x2

4. TalkBahk2Me

TalkBahk2Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    I agree with Misha.

That is normal behavior for young birds. Even hens will chase and play fight with each other. Then can puff the short neck feathers and throw feet at each other. Just like how roosters throw feet trying to spur & chase other males.

Darker is like you thought, the rooster/cockerel :) and light brown is the hen/pullet. They are a lovely pair.

Roosters have thin long neck feathers, usually with more shine to them.Their tail feathers are also longer than females as they mature. Noticeably they have shiny feathers as well, commonly in darker plumage like yours, you will see either shiny green or black with a hue of purple blue or even a red cast as light hits these. Leg bones will develop thicker, you can also see where the spur is developing. If not catch him and running your hand over his leg and notice small knub, the formation of the spur.

Hens have the wider neck feathers and short tails, with no various colors other than those on their body. Their legs are thinner and can have a small spur knub as well, but it's much smaller and will not develop further.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  5. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I agree also.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    X3