1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP ME

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by youngchooklover, Feb 11, 2013.

1. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    HELLO world,
    I'm new and i need your help. Ever since i picked up a chick at the Adelaide show i wanted to have one.
    Now I have chickens. We have a rooster, Spencer, who is wonderful. 5 (was 6) ISA browns: May ,Glenga, Gertrude, Grandma, Feathers and Short-beak (RIP) who are all were battery hens but are now free range and a Australian langshan bantam Betty and a Silkie hen, Jewel.
    However, none will go clucky. Betty did but did not succeed sadly and now today we got a cross between a Australian Langshan bantam and a Silky hen from a friend. She was clucky. She is siting on, well, none. We gave her 6 but she has put them around herself. What's up with that?

SO please help
    and can you give some tips on cluckiness.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Do you mean "broodiness"? If that's the case, well, battery hens are not the broodiest bunch out there. I've had 40 and 3 of them did go broody and hatched chicks, but there are other breeds that are way more prone to broodiness, like Silkies. It also depends on the individual hen, really. Some are just more motherly than others. I'm sorry I don't understand your question about the Silkie. Did you give her 6 eggs or 6 chicks?

Here is a very long, informative thread on broody hen hatches that you can look at that I'm sure will answer some of your questions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ody-hen-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread

Best of luck!

3 people like this.
  4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2 but I will add that there could be an irritant. Have you checked for lice and mites? Some hens aren't good broodies and mothers. Do you have pleny of "lip" in the front of her brooder box? perhaps you can move her into a tighter/smaller space so that she CANT push them away?

5. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In addition does she have enough bedding/nesting materials? - [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    thank you all
    I almost gave up on anyone replying
    Egalite it was 6 eggs
    and cattywampus yes they are all covered in lice and we don,t know how to stop them.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    1 person likes this.
  10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop