Help me

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clintdaniels83, Mar 10, 2013.

1. clintdaniels83

clintdaniels83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Ok, here we go. First off I am new here at byc, although pretty much every question I ever ask google brings me here. I hope you guys can help. I have a flock which had two roosters until about 2 weeks ago. The rooster that was not alpha, became alpha when we lost the other rooster. I took in a brand new adolescent, roo about 6 months old. Well my rooster doesn't seem to want to take to him. They are free range and have lots of space but introductions aren't going well... Any ideas, an outside perspective would be nice.

2. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    most roosters dont get along but they might if you have enough hens. my friend used to have about 6 roosters and 40 hens. i dont know if this will help cause i dont know how to fix it.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    How many hens do you have? Unless you have at least 8-10 hens per rooster you may have a lot of fights right now since both boys are scrambling for the top spot. It's hard on a flock to lose their alpha.

What will normally happen in a flock is that one rooster will beat the other, and the other will back down, run away, and show submission to the winner. If he doesn't, there will be more fights. If the loser doesn't run away, he might just have to be beat on until he learns. I'd say, no blood, no foul in this case. Unless the alpha roo is drawing blood, I'd just keep an eye on them and assume that they will eventually settle down.

4. clintdaniels83

Mar 10, 2013
    Oh, we have plenty of hens. Have made sure of that, just to keep that down. We definitely have foul, cause we have blood. Currently the rooster is with the baby chickens to keep him from the other, and we are introducing in a 3x3 cage often. Just can't seem to back him off, I know he just got the alpha spot but jeez. Just hope it's not permanent

5. I have 2 roosters at first they did not get along they slowly over the months have begin to get along!

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Sounds like your new alpha feels insecure since he just got the top spot, and now this new guy shows up. If you've got blood drawn, I can see your concern. The only thing I can think of is to keep the new guy separated where they can get used to each other through a fence for a while, then reintroduce them when your new alpha isn't feeling so grumpy.

As the days get warmer, I'm waiting for our annual rooster fights. My boys get along beautifully for 364 days of the year, but there's always one nice spring day where they decide to mix it up and someone loses some feathers and a chunk of their comb.

7. clintdaniels83

Mar 10, 2013
    Well day 3 and wow I wish that the boys could just get along. I'm still using the cage, except now we are taking turns on who is in it. It really seems to [email protected]$& my alpha off royally. He will spend hours on top of the cage when he is out pecking at the new guy. He can't hurt him, but at some point I wish he would get a clue. No matter how bad he thinks it is, he has to get over it I just got a blue lace wine dot. He ain't going no where.

8. clintdaniels83

Mar 10, 2013
    Also, thank you everyone for the input. I just hatched my first chick last night, very excited!!! Bred a "golden star" I think red sexlink and buff.

9. clintdaniels83

Mar 10, 2013
    Sorry I'm country as my wife points out its a Wyandotte roo

10. RileyB

RileyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    NH
    I found that my roosters got along when I put them in a separate area from the hens. However, they had also hatched together, so I don't know that that will work in all settings. I really, really wanted to be able to keep all my roosters (4 total), but after months and months of trying to make it work ended up having to give three away for dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by