HELP ME!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BMD17553, Dec 10, 2013.

1. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    ok so i have a sick roo he was sneezing really bad at first then i gave him some medicine he was showing improvement but not to much so i posted about it and some one said something about checking their throat for gape worm by swabbing their throat and i did well the cotton swab had a little red kinda like blood but im not sure im really worried can some please help me further diagnosis and treat????

2. BravewingTheHen

BravewingTheHen Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    My Coop
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. BMD17553

Dec 3, 2013
    Would i be better if i just killed it to prevent the spread or is it worth itto nurse him back to health and how long will recovery last and how expensive is the meds.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would separate and try to figure out what he has first. If he has ILT, it is a virus, so antibiotics would only help prevent secondary infections such as pneumonia. Most respiratory diseases are contagious and can make carriers of the rest of the flock. Culling is something that many would do if it were ILT because in some states it is a reportable disease. On thing to look for is a lot of bloody mucus from his nose and mouth. It could be another disease. Please read the links again and get familiar with symptoms before you decide what to do.

6. BMD17553

Dec 3, 2013
    He has a runny nose really bad and when he triest to crow he ends it short so im not sure some symptoms sound like his but at the same time alot dont i dont know how to furthur dagnosis

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does he have any bloody mucus coming from the nose or mouth? That is one of the signs to differentiate ILT from other diseases. Does he have any bad smell? Any swollen eyes or eye bubbles? Foul smell can indicate coryza. Mycoplasma and infectious bronchitis are very common, and treatable--it just depends on looking at the second link in post #3 and deciding what you have. Sometimes giving Tylan or tetracycline can help.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  8. BMD17553

Dec 3, 2013
    honestly none of them sound like his there is no blood in the mucus is it possible its just a cold and if it is then how do i shorten it. also he has a big booger in his left nostril i removed it with a cotton swab and he basically had a runny nose

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They don't have colds. It may be infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma, but you may want to get him tested to know for sure.

10. BravewingTheHen

BravewingTheHen Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    My Coop
    I know that chickens don't get colds, as Eggcessive mentioned, but at least 6 of my 10 chickens in October started showing cold like symptoms, kind of like the type of cold a person gets. They had runny noses, they sneezed, and their eyes watered. I just put some tetracycline in their water and after a few days they were better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by