1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help me

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mykaheden27, Mar 25, 2015.

1. mykaheden27

mykaheden27 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Tomorrow is lockdown. So i candled two of my duck eggs just now. And two have internally pipped. How long before they externally pip? And if they dont in so much time, should i help? And how? Someone give me advice please. Even tho tomorrows lockdown if they dont externally pip will it be safe.to candle or handle them to make sure they ate ok?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Once you lock down, you are better off not opening it again unless absolutely necessary, and only if your temps and humidity are stable. I'm not positive on how fast they will externally pip after internal, but they can still take 24-48 hours after external pip to exit. So try to be patient.
    Use the search at the top for assisted hatch. There are some excellent posts you can read. But keep in mind if it relates to chicks, that ducks take longer. Dont rush the ducks.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Hi Myka!

First off, CONGRATS on your hatch! Talk about eager beavers, it's not even lockdown and they've already busted into the air cell. :p First thing to do is stop turning them, obviously. Right now I wouldn't worry, you just discovered the internal pip so they'll most likely just keep on truckin' and hatch out all on their own. Try not to move them when you candle, just hold the egg steady and put the light right up to them, don't pick them up or turn them around.

For now just keep an eye on them, if the early birds haven't externally pipped 24 hours from now then you may want to think about making what's called a "safe hole", which is where you gently and carefully scratch the surface of the shell (far away from where the baby's head is, of course!) until you poke a pinhole for them to breathe. And that's JUST for the ones that are pipped internally, the others are doin' their own thang. After that, leave 'em alone and make sure the humidity is bumped up so they don't become shrink wrapped. As long as the membrane stays moist and they have oxygen, they can hang out in there for a very long time.

Here's a great thread, it's helped me a bunch when hatching my call duck eggs, which are notoriously difficult lil' buggers to hatch. Read it back to front; helping a duck out of its shell is an absolute last resort and this article's got great info to tell you if you need to or not, when to do it if you have to, and step-by-step directions of what to do.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Best of luck, and please keep us posted! (and show us lots of pics of the babies!) <3

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  5. mykaheden27

mykaheden27 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    I looked in this morning, and from what i can see thru my windows in the incubator, i do not see an external pip yet. I havent opened the incubator. Ill just keep an eye on them for now. Thanks everyone and ill keep yall posted if more happens!

6. mykaheden27

mykaheden27 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    I can hear them chirping!!! Im so excited!

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Isn't that just the coolest thing in the world??? I'm so happy for you!

Patience, grass hopper.... patience!

8. mykaheden27

mykaheden27 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    I keep checking.them. no external pip yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by