HELP!!! Mean chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nolie and Jamie, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Nolie and Jamie

Nolie and Jamie New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    Hi
    We have a flock of ISA's and RI's aprox 50 chicks(straight run) they are anywhere between 8-14 weeks old and the WHOLE flock attacks us when we go into the coop, They are pecking us, biting & I even had 1 jump on my back the other day. I know we have WAY more roos then hens but is it normal for them to be aggressive already & is there anything we can do. We plan on "thinning" out all the roos when they are old enough to butcher but we are concerned they might make the hens mean..... Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    They might just be so excited to see you...do you bring treats or food when you come into the area? I have 11 girls and they get so excited when I have treats, when I bend down there are a certain few who like to jump up on my shoulder to get a treat and some of the others will walk around and pack at my back or side...I think they are just saying hey I am over here give me a treat!! Maybe when you walk in th run have a bag of seeds/scratch/oatmeal etc. to throw down so they go after that and not you...makes me think of the Alfred Hitchcock movie THE BIRDS!!!

3. Nolie and Jamie

Nolie and Jamie New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    thats kind of how we feel. I usually just ignore the pecking, so far they arent big enough to do much damage. They are just annoying. I just dont want them to keep it up. We have younger children & when we are down to just hens I dont want to worry they will hurt the kids. Ive debated on pulling the roos out till they are old enough to butcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by