Help Meatie having problems standing or walking

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Lotsapaints, May 16, 2010.

1. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Will soon be 6 weeks and it isn't a cx but it must be a cx crossed with Delaware that what he looks like and he's always staggered around when he walked and sits at the food bin but he could walk and stand now tonite he is just laying with his legs out in front of him or over to the side and when I hold him up he can't stand. He's bright and nobody is picking on him and I offered water to him but he didn't want to drink is there anything to do but butcher? He's not really ready but he might weigh 2+ pounds....I haven't weighed them yet-he's one I hatched and the worse one for walking always ..he lurched around like he had duck feet.

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Songster

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    was he like that from the time you got him 6 weeks ago?

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I hatched him out he has always walked like his feet were too big for him but tonite is the first time he can't get around

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Songster

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    have you fed him chick starter, or meatbird feed, sometimes they do have leg problems, thats why you butcher before 8 weeks. we raised them last year and they didn't walk around much, we kept them confined to a smaller area and they just layed by the food dishes and ate.

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    these are supposed to take 16 weeks so if it's not something that can be helped I guess we'll be practicing on this one..gotta go find the butchering stuff and its going to rain today great just great

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    You could also practice caponization. That's what I'll do with the next rooster that needs to be culled. (I'll practice after he's expired.)

7. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    yeah poor guy we want to try and do that too his loss our gain since I mostly raise dual purpose it would be really nice to let the roosters get bigger without having to worry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by