Help.. meaties killing themselves off

Cryssie_Bou

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 25, 2011
what can I do about this.. the last week I have proceeded to go from 22 meaties down to 16.. 1 i killed cause she was injured but I lost 3 to unknown 1 was at the far end of the coop.. looks like he just dropped.. i had 1 i due is from dog piling cause he was in by where they normall sleep .. and the other was on the other side.. with no signs of distress etc.. the same week i killed the hen who was injured.. and i had another dead this morning and two on saturday that was due to weasel.. the weasel is dead..our cat killed it..

The ones except the one I killed showed no signs of distress, no medical issues.. seemed fine, ate lots, drank lots.. I thought from the dog piling if i put something in that corner to avoid them from doing this theyw ould stop so I moved the water over there and it takes up the whole corner but the one this morning... that was dead wasnt even near that corner he was further up in the pen...

Any suggesstions?? I dont want to lose anymore as I only have two weeks till we slaughter.. and this is winter meat for the freezer..

Crystal

I live in Canada in New Brunswick actually.. our day time temps this summer have been running 20-27 C.. they just turned 10 weeks .... I should also say they do free range they get locked int heir enclosure at night due to coyates and other predetors.. and they have a constant supply of fresh water plus their feed.,, treats etc

Last edited:
You need to start sending them to butcher camp.

Too much heat can kill them. They are not meant to live very long and due to fast growth die from heart attacks, leg problems, organ failure, etc.

10 weeks is beginning to push it if they are ready to butcher and are large
smile.png

Noms!

Quote:
thats why i have to make them last another 2 weeks.. that our date for processsing at the processors.. but a friend said he can get a whiz bang plucker.. if he can.. their being done sooner... possible this weekend...

Crystal

Back
Top Bottom