Help Mee! (Video added!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by neenerbutt92, Sep 21, 2010.

1. neenerbutt92

neenerbutt92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I have a few chicks that aren't eating, breathing through their mouth and when breathing is sounds scratchy. What is wrong and how can I treat it?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know what could be wrong but you need to isolate the sick ones from the rest and get them all on an antibiotic I would think. Hopefully someone else on here can help too

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    If you do nothing else MAKE SURE YOU GET WATER INTO THEM - Use infant vitamin drops without Iron and put a few drops in water feed the chicks with an eye dropper if you have to! They sound like they have a respiritory infection? They need antibiotics. Make sure you are feeding them the correct feed and that the feed isn;t damp or Mouldy!!!!!!!! Make sure they are kept away from damp and drafts!

I can;t really help you much more than that - I do think if you don;t make sure they get the water and antibiotics you might start to lose some. - Good luck its only a little set back don;t be discouraged!!!!

Oesdog

4. neenerbutt92

Sep 1, 2010
    Here is a video, you can hear the noise the chick is making when I pick it up and hold it closer to the camera. I removed 5 chicks from about 40 that have these symptoms and sound similar. I've started them on antibiotics and medicated feed. I hope someone can help me.

Here is the link...I hope it works!

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like your doing the right thing for them. Try to get them to eat some plain yogurt too. Hopefully the antibiotics will begin to take affect. They sure are cute, I really couldn't hear much on the video sorry

6. neenerbutt92

Sep 1, 2010
    I will try that and some scrambled eggs. I used terramycin soluble powder. As soon as the chick is out of view and you hear the crackling noise....that is the chick they all 5 do that, it isn't constant though.

7. neenerbutt92

Sep 1, 2010
    I'm afraid this is going to spread through my flock! [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you know it just might, maybe you should put the whole flock on the antibiotic just in case, I don't know how others feel about it and I am not a fan of antibiotics either but it just might save their lives. Also I did hear the crackling just didn't put it with them. WOW. Sure hope they get well quick!

9. neenerbutt92

Sep 1, 2010
    I might do that! I had one awhile back do that...she got so bad I had cull. Then these 5 popped up. I had some guineas awhile back too that had runny eyes, noises, and ears. Breathing with their beaks open like these little ones do at times. There were 5 of them as well I put them on antibiotics, one got better and the rest died. At that time I also put the whole flock on antibiotics, I was soo afraid they would get it too. Idk what it is....HOPEFULLY nothing too awful! [​IMG]

10. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree with Miss Lydia, you really should put all of them on antibiotics. I'm not a fan of using drugs either, but they do have their place. I would rather give my chickens meds than to let them die without having tried anything at all.

I sure hope it works. Make sure they're getting fluids and are staying warm but not over-heated either. Do the sick ones have a fever? If so, then you really don't want them over-heated. But yeah, watch out for cold drafts. Just think of how you feel when you have the flu. (It would be great if they could have orange juice and soup wouldn't it?)

Good luck and keep us posted! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by