HELP - Mille Fleur D'Uccle Chicks with outside toe tucked under (PICS)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggcellent, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I have a newborn chick that has a toe deformity. The outside toe on both feet are a little smaller than they should be and tucked underneath the rest of the foot. From the top it looks like it has only 3 toes.

Here is a photo:

[​IMG]

Any idea what could have caused it or if I should try a splint or anything?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I checked another that is in the incubator and it has a similar problem but not as pronounced. I have hatched 5 EEers so far and 3 mille fleurs so far. All the EEers are fine and 2/3 of the mille fleurs seem to have this problem. Is it maybe just a banty thing from being squished in such a small egg?

3. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    One other thing I forgot to mention... These chicks all hatched on day 19. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

4. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Eggcellent - I had one like that last month. I put "boots" on it's feet for a couple of days to help the toes form correctly. It wasn't hard to do. I'm looking for the pictures and directions for you but having trouble locating them. They're somewhere on here.

Anyway, what I did was cut a small piece of cardboard in a circle that would fit the stretched out toes, then tape the toes down with the sticky part of a band aid. Leave the boots on for a day or two and the toes will grow into the shape and position that they're supposed to be in. I did it for 2 silkies and they are fine now.

I'll keep looking for those pics and instructions for you.

5. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
  6. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    OK we made some cardboard boots for it and it doesn't seem to mind them too much. The other one that looked a little questionable is looking much better now, but yet another one that just hatched looks like it is questionable lol.

Does anyone know what causes this? Genetics, incubation or something else? If it is a genetic flaw I don't want to breed the ones that had the problem so I will put them in the hen house and not in the breeding run I have waiting just for mille fleur d'uccles.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  7. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Great that she doesn't mind the boots. Mine walked really crazy for a few hours and had the boots pecked off within a day. LOL, I had to use stronger tape to keep the boots on and I ended up pulling out some of the chick feathers that stuck to the tape when I took the boots off, poor chickie. [​IMG]

I read that it could be a riboflavin deficiency in the mama. There's more info in the thread where the picture was. I think certain breeds are more likely to have problems with this than others. I really don't know much.

8. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Ugh, I have 7 total mille fleur d'uccles so far, and 5 of them have this outside toe tucked under.

To be clear, the toes are not crooked or anything. Just the outside toe on both feet is tucked under.

All of the easter eggers that were incubated at the same time are perfectly normal.

On one hand having so many chicks with this problem makes me think maybe it was an incubation issue, but on the other hand having 100% normal healthy EEers in the same bator would make me think it wasn't an incubation issue.

This is discouraging [​IMG]

9. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    I'm sorry you have so many troubled chickies. [​IMG] Did you get some that don't have the problem? It could be a bad gene too, but I don't really know. I hope the treatment helps. You've gone through a lot lately with chickens huh? I saw your post about the rescued chickens. Guess you've been busy. After you get through everything you could advertise yourself as a chicken Dr.! I hope you're taking time to rest...

10. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Well as long as the 10 little boots we made help the chicks turn out normal then I guess its no biggie. I had 12 EEers and 100% hatch rate. No curled toes on them at all, but one of them did have 5 toes on one foot and 4 toes on the other!

We started with 16 mille fleur d'uccles, and removed 2 before lockdown. Of the 14 that have made it to lockdown, 7 have hatched. Five out of seven have the same toe problem. We have 7 more mille fleur d'uccles in the bator, but only 2 have pipped. I don't think the 5 that haven't pipped are likely to make it. [​IMG]

I need to see if I can find somewhere local with poly vitasol. I have checked at the local grocery and walmart and haven't been able to find it.

The rescue chickens are doing great by the way. Both of their feet look amazing but the hen still has the black toe. I think it may be a scab but I am not wanting to try to remove it because last time she bled all over the place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by