help missing eggs and soft shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiffanymdavis, Sep 29, 2012.

1. tiffanymdavis

tiffanymdavis New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    :(I have a 16 sex link chickens I have been getting on average over a dozen eggs a day yesterday I only got 8 eggs I was 7 short this morning I went out and now and I had a soft shell egg with the yolk are already out. I feed my chickens of Purina layer crumbles and I just started giving them purina scratch go get bread as a treat sometimes fruit and we just put in a pecking block recommended from the feed store any ideas as to why in 24 hours I lost half my egg production

2. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    I am assuming you are giving them calcium? Might be the one giving soft shells is not getting any. Also mine start laying other places when they are trying to hatch eggs and or molting. [​IMG]

3. tiffanymdavis

tiffanymdavis New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    Weve looked every where cant findthem. This is my first chicken pin of my own( grandmas i dont think counted) i asked both feedstores if. I needed calcium or oyster and they both said the purina crumbles were sufficient enough we're there wrong?

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They may be reacting to the block in a negative way. Give it a couple of days to see if it was a short time thing. A complete feed like the layer crumbles does have enough calcium for most circumstances. However if you give them a lot to eat other then the crumble or free range them then no, they may not be getting enough calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by