Help! Missing Muscovy!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by VTRN, Dec 11, 2013.

1. VTRN

VTRN Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    Last evening, we were offered 2 moscovy ducks. My husband could only catch one, so we brought her home with plans to get the second one today. We put her in the coop last night in a separated area and by morning, she had gotten out of that area, but was nicely interacting with the other birds. I opened up the coop to the run and went about my day. About 5 hours later I got home and checked on the birds and the big run door was open and my new muscovy is missing! I must have opened the door and forgot to latch it shut. I feel horrible! I looked all around the yard and into the woods and haven't seen her. Any tips from muscovy owners on how I may get her back, or is she long gone :( ?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She may come back or she is trying to find her way back to where she lived before. and not being familiar with the new area she may not be able to get back, If her wings weren't clipped she may have flown. Best thing you can do is just wait and hope she comes back. I wouldn't give up hope but it doesn't look good. It's a good idea to keep them closed u pat least 2 weeks to get use to their new home before letting them out. So sorry she left. Any body of water close by most likely she would head there if not close where she use to live.

3. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Find out if previous owners had a callor sound when feeding or penning up, ect. or see if they'd come call it and maybe it'll come back to their voice. sorry for hopefully temp loss, as i don't know if i could live without my scovys now. I'm disabled and soothing and peaceful to watch their quiet activities.

4. VTRN

VTRN Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    Just a quick update- after 4 days and no trace of her, I had given up that she would return. Well, this afternoon we got a call from a neighbor down the road that a pretty little duck was perched on their porch railing! We went over and she had flown up in the tree, where she remained as of nightfall. We put out food and she's got fresh water on their property (the only non-frozen water source anywhere around! Smart girl!) and we are hoping to get her home soon. I'm just so happy to know she's okay!

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That's great you found her! best of luck in actually catching her. At least she's safe n sound, they are pretty resourceful and thankfully their flight combined with their roosting ability will aid in survival.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Awesome news.. hope you can get her home. Let us know. [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you been able to bring her home yet?

8. VTRN

VTRN Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    No :(
    She isn't hanging around as close to my neighbors as she was before, but they have still spotted her twice since the other day. We'll keep trying though!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you get hold of a dog X pen? if so or some kind of temp fencing you can make an area take her friend that you got at the same time and put it into a dog crate one that's wire all around would be best so they can see each other, take the duck inside the crate and place it at the back of the pen or fence with the opposite end open hopefully she will see her buddy and waddle inside to visit maybe put a bowl of food close to the crate. when and if she goes in you can as quick as possible close up the gap and walk in and pick her up, an old towel to throw over top of her or very large fishing net would work too. I just recently rescued a rooster using this technique someone dumped him at out church and after trying for 2 months to find him a home and not able I brought him home to my flock, I used one of my hens as bait, I also rescued some drakes form our river that were dumped using this method. This may take some time but it may work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by