Help! Mites won't go away!

mrsckennedy1121

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2020
Okay so I know this is not a new thing and other people have had this problem. But I've been through the forums and I've tried everything that I can find, and we still cannot permanently get rid of the mites. We treat them, they go away for a couple weeks and then they come back with a vengeance.
Our coop is 100% enclosed and the run is 90% covered with metal. I never see wild birds in or around the coop or run. I have put up bird feeders on other locations of the property to specifically draw them away from that area.
We have tried the DE in the coop, run, and their dust baths. While we were using the DE, we were cleaning the coop every couple of days, completely taking everything out and putting fresh pine shavings in. I read that maybe the deep litter method would work better, so we stopped the DE, cleaned out the coop and all of the baths and everything to remove it, and switched over to the deep litter method.
Prior to doing that, we treated the run, the coop, and every individual chicken with the massively expensive Elector PSP which is supposed to be a miracle cure for mites. Everything I read said that I would never have to treat again, basically. After two weeks, we were right back to the same amount of mites as before, if not more.
We are really struggling with this. I know that it's bad for the birds, it makes them uncomfortable, and it's also really uncomfortable for us, because every time we go to gather eggs, we basically have to come back, take off our shoes and all of our clothes and put them outside or wash immediately because otherwise you have mites crawling on you and you find them all over the place for the next several hours. Any help with this from the experts would be so amazing. I just can't think what else I should try.

You need to treat your birds and coop with a pyrethin based or permetherin based poultry dust. Treat weekly for 3-4 weeks to break the life cycle. DE does nothing, and is a respiratory irritant.

Prior to doing that, we treated the run, the coop, and every individual chicken with the massively expensive Elector PSP which is supposed to be a miracle cure for mites.
Wonders how you applied this?
Dosage and how/where did you spray?
@azygous has had good results with it.

Do you know if you have roost mites or poultry mites?
Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Also would help to know.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600630808869.png

For coop mites, I mix two tea spoons of Elector into one gallon of water and spray all the nooks and crannies of the coop, and you can also spray the chickens directly or dip them whole into the bucket of mix.

I use the permethrin concentrate. It has worked for me. you need to do thorough treatments spraying every crack and crevice, everywhere in the coop for 3 or 4 weekly sprayings. I use the permethrin poultry dust in the nest boxes. I get it at TSC. Good luck...
This is for permethrin.
ChickenMites.jpg
Permethrin-10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom