help- mold in bator

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by City Chicken, Jan 22, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    This was not there when we started, but we have what appears to be mold growing in the incubator on the turner. the quail eggs have only been in 2 days, i don't want to risk disturbing them, but i also don't want them to be ill from it. they are not washed, so i assume there is some protection there?

what would you do?

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    If it were me, I'd clean the mold out. That environment would create a really out of control situation by the time the eggs hatch.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    X2 Take the eggs out and wipe the turner down with a bleach solution, then with a clean cloth to remove the bleach. If possible remove the turner and hand turn the eggs.

4. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    ok i did. i took the turner out, leaving the eggs in.. heat escaped, but hopefully they will be ok.
    i bleached it and scrubbed it, dried it and returned it to the bator to turn the eggs. hoping the little temp flux isn't too severe for the eggs.
    i would imagine it isn't much worse than the mom getting up for a few min to eat or poo- which i think they do.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Yes, broody hens get up to eat, drink etc at least once a day. The eggs are designed to be o.k. during these cool down periods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by