Help mom injured baby after rejecting them.

DianaMallory

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Lancaster Ohio
I tried to add babies to my broody hen and it didn't work out so good. She was fine with them when we put them in there. This morning they were all out of nesting box and would not go back in the box I tried to put one in with her and she pecked it she drew blood before I could get it out of there. I put her separate from the others but I don't think she is going to make it. I put neosporen on her wound. What more should I do?

Oh wow, good surprise, it looks much better than I was imagining
smile.png
. I think your chicken has an excellent chance of making it. What you did by separating her from the others is the most important thing. I would clean the wound with peroxide, or betadine, or chlorohexadine. Once it is really clean, put some neosporin on it (but make sure it doesn't have pain killers in it as it is harmful to chickens). I would also recommend putting some sav-a-chick electrolytes in her water just to give her a little boost. Other than that keep her warm and quiet, and make sure that she is still eating and drinking. If she's not eating/drinking on her own, let me know and I'll give you some other ideas. Also, how is she acting? In the picture she looks like she is alert and active and doesn't look all fluffed up, which is a good sign.

Well I found another one that was wounded she is holding her wing down like it is broken. , So I put her in the same box with the other chick and of coarse she started pecking at her wound but only once and then they cuddled together and started eating and drinking. The injured one in the pic was not eating before that and I had dipped her beak in water and made her take a drink.

Back
Top Bottom