Help! Mom keeps attacking baby chick.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aguynamedhorse, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Aguynamedhorse

Aguynamedhorse New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Idk why but, everytime he gets close to her, she pecks him or attacks him really hard. And he'll try to get underneath her. It happened over night, but the odd thing is, when I went into the garage where I keep them, there was a random baby bird there? It was just sitting there. And now the baby chicken is afraid to get close to her and he hatched over a month ago. They were perfectly fine until now.. Why is that?

Did the baby bird have something to do with it?

The baby chicken is over a month old and has developed a small tail, if that helps determining his age.

I can upload pics of them if that would help

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    She might be getting him to set out on his own. At around 4 to 6 weeks, a mother hen usually just starts ignoring her chicks, because they no longer need her care, but sometimes she may chase them away. I think your hen is just trying to get him to leave her alone. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Aguynamedhorse

Aguynamedhorse New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Ah , I think your right.

I took measures onto my own hands and did my own peer mediation type of thing lol. I grabbed both of them by force and forced her to sleep next to him and she didn't attack him.

And ya the behaviors do match what your trying to say, as she just scares him off ( brutally maybe) but leaves him alone unharmed.

thanks for the help. I'll be sure to leave it as is now then.

4. Aguynamedhorse

Aguynamedhorse New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Ok well, the mom still pecks him [​IMG]

but the other problem is.. the mom is keeping her mouth open and it looks like she keeps exhaling and inhaling, like shes exhausted... even when shes not.. Why is that? I gave her water but it still looks like shes breathing fast with her mouth open.. Anyone know why?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by