Help! Momma Chicken left her egg after sittin on it for about 3 weeks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Big Mama K, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Big Mama K

Big Mama K Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    Hey ya'll! I recently took in some chickens because a family member was moving to Houston Texas and couldn't take them! So after getting them one of the hens decided to set on an egg! Well tomorrow is day 21 and yesterday she stopped sitting on it! I candled it this afternoon and saw movement! I have no idea what I am suppose to do! Is she still suppose to be setting on it or since its so hot outside it is ok, temp here is about 93. I also received an incubator so I was wondering if I should put the egg in it to take over the process! But I have know idea how to incubate an egg this far along in the process! I really need some help!! I will glad take any advice anyone can give me! Please help my three daughters and I were very excited about hatching a baby chicken but now we are scared! PLEASE, I NEED ADVICE!!

Ok, so I have decided that Ms. Hannah Montana (The Momma Chicken) has decided to give up after her 3 long weeks of never leaving her egg! So I have turned on the incubator added water to the tray but that is about as much as I know! I didn't receive any instructions with the incubator and have not used one in years!! Plus all the chicken eggs we ever tried never hatched! We only had luck with are ducks!! So the incubator is an Hova-Bator Incubator Model # 1602N. I have know idea what temp I should have it at and both of my red vent caps are missing! Someone told me I needed to tape one up, well is that true and which one!! If anyone has done this before, taking over at the very end I need your help or if you own a Hova-Bator Incubator 1602N, HELP!!

Oh, I just went back out and checked on the egg and saw it move! So, the is still hope! So, HELP!!

2. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    99.5 degrees lock down no opening the incubator. good luck!!

3. Big Mama K

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    Thanks, it up to 96!! Can I go ahead and put the egg in it?

4. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    For right now, at least until the incurbator is going, what you can do is stick it in your bra. lol i know that sounds wierd but it works. i had that happen when two eggs were literally hours away from hatching and my ma got on an old sports bra and said 'watch this little trick.' man i thought she was a ninja or something. butthenas soon as they started pipping we put it under a common heat lamp and they did great. Good news though. As long as your incubator is realitively warm, i dont think anything can really go wrong since the chick is so far along. dont let it get chilled, dont turn it, just let it do its thing. [​IMG]

5. Big Mama K

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    Thank you so much!! Ha ha ha, putting it in my bra was my first thought and my husband laughed at me!! Ok, I am sure this is going to sound stupid but what is pipping? I am so new to this and really have no clue with what I am doing!

6. laceynoelle

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    oh no, its fine. [​IMG] i love doing this. Pipping is when the chick starts to break out of the egg. If you put it to your ear, you can hear clicking, and the egg will start to crack a little at a time. And when it happens, dont get nervous, it usually takes a while for them to get out.

7. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    Quote:same thing with my chicken, but my chickens eat their own eggs, my hen stopped sitting on them and i found only 1 rotten egg left... sad memories...

8. Big Mama K

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    Quote:Thanks! Well, my egg isn't pipping yet! I went out to get the egg to put in the incubator and I have another chicken setting on it! So, I guess I am going to keep my incubator running and just in case this new momma decides she doesn't wanna sit on it either!

9. laceynoelle

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Quote:Thanks! Well, my egg isn't pipping yet! I went out to get the egg to put in the incubator and I have another chicken setting on it! So, I guess I am going to keep my incubator running and just in case this new momma decides she doesn't wanna sit on it either!

Watch her close though, because she might just be laying an egg.

10. Big Mama K

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    Ok, well that really lasted long! The other hen has decided not to sit on the egg either! so, do I put it in the 96 degree incubator (not having any clue what I am doing) or leave it outside in the 96 degree weather?? Would it be better off in the incubator or outside...I have no idea!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by