HELP! Momma duck was slaughtered!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CDEDBDwings, Apr 19, 2012.

1. CDEDBDwings

CDEDBDwings Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    We were horrified to find all of our birds (7) killed when we came outside today. Bottom line is we have some wood duck eggs and no more momma duck. Should/can I leave them outside tonight? Do you think she was actually sitting on them yet? there was only 3 eggs. Problem is I dont have an incubator yet, I had a duck. What do I do? Quick!

2. Jacob Temple

Jacob Temple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    umm sorry i dont know what to tell you but if you want to know how long she was setting or if she was well get a light and candle them if they have been setting you will see like a spider s web which is the blood stems started or you will see dark spot which is the chicks hope this help good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. CDEDBDwings

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks! I will see where they are at, then go from there. Maybe I will have to go buy an egg warmer tonight...

4. CDEDBDwings

Jun 13, 2011
    So I looked at the eggs and they look pretty uniform in color inside. With a little bubble or something at the bigger end. They are in the box nest outside still. What to do? Kinda hard to run out and buy a warmer tonight, but could swing it if I absolutely need to.

5. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Oh my goodness what happened?!!

Make sure you set the eggs with the pointed end down. Temperature 99.5 degrees, humidity 65%. Hope this helps.

6. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't help with the egg stuff- I am just new to this all. But I am so sorry about all your birds! Oh my gosh!

7. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    She probably wasn't sitting on just 3. I'd get an incubator tomorrow and put them in there.

8. CDEDBDwings

Jun 13, 2011
    I appreciate the feedback. I was hoping someone would say it is ok to put them in an incubator tomorrow!! I am studying for a final exam I have in the morning and I can't leave the house, lol. My poor ducks were killed by the neighbor's dogs. There was more than one dog it was determined by animal control. The dogs dug almost all the way into the pen all theway around the aviary. Then pushed the door in and killed everything. The officer inspected the neighbor dogs for feathers and measured paw prints from the mud, but he couldnt do much other than give a warning. Its an escalated open case though due to the vicious nature of the unprovoked attack and the resulting death of multiple animals. If we see their dogs in our yard again, and call animal control, they will be required to maintain a special license for dangerous animals. It over $1500.

9. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    well this may mean that the chicks are forming that is what they will peck in to before hatching . if you have a store bought egg look and see if its the same

10. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    and if u see the dogs again just shoot them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by