HELP!!Momma hen is now attacking her 3 week olds

California Ducken

Songster
13 Years
Apr 14, 2009
California, Central Valley
It's been 3 weeks since my non broody hatched her chicks. Now she is jumping on them and pecking their heads until they get away. She is making them bleed at their ears. I took them away as soon as I noticed. What's the problem with her.
Oh and she only will accept the black chicks (2), she is also black.
I need advise on what to do. Did she snap out of mother hen mode?
PLEASE ANY ADVISE!!!

Take them away IMMEDIATELY!!! She WILL kill them!!! I would take even the black ones away...they can get very irritable at times and can turn on their young and will kill them! I would separate NOW!!! Good luck!!

Sound to me like your hen is done being mommy. Has she started to lay again? We had the same problem when we pen the momma and babies up together. The momma gets tired of the babies and has no where to go to get away from them.
idunno.gif

I Already took them away! I am just glad I was there when I put them out together in the outside pen to peck and scratch. She was fine for about 10 minutes, then bam I heard a chick scream so I ran over ( 5 feet away) and watched and she keep attacking, it was like they were not her chicks. She "was" the best Momma to her chicks. Well I guess the partys over and I now have to be Momma. Should I take the other hens 2 chicks away to? they all hatched on the same weekend.(3 weeks ago) Our roos are very nice to the chicks, but I still don't trust anyone with "my" chickies!!

No she has not started to lay. But she and the other hen jump on my ducks eggs and sit!
Thank You for the quick replys!!
I didn't know they would just stop like that!
Hey us humans have our kids for life!!!LOL

Quote:
I have learned the hard way so I to just take them. They're just to unpredictable. I had a mama hatch out 4 little babies 2 weeks ago and decided to try and let her keep them since she seemed so content...thank God I came in the barn just in time--she had kicked them out of the box and was out of it attacking it--it's poor little face was so bloody. I quickly grabbed all of them and brough them in, cleaned the one up and got them in a nice warm brooder box. They are happy and healthy little guys...

Back
Top Bottom