HELP! Mommy hen killed, left babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by krzybo, Mar 29, 2009.

1. krzybo

krzybo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    Our Mommy hen was killed last night and left 3 baby chicks that are 3 1/2 weeks old. What do I need to do to take care of them? They were in a coup with 3 other hens and doing great. Temperatures get 35 to 40 at night. We didn't have a light on them at night because Mom kept them warm. Any information would be greatly appreciated since I am new to raising babies.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I would put them somewhere away from the hens and get a heat lamp on them. You may have to set up a brooder in your house. If they are outside that young, they may freeze to death or the hens are going to kill them. Get them inside and under lights.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Get a big box or one of those sotrage tubs, get a light 100 watt at least. Put down some pine shavings and put the chicks in there with feed and water. You are gonna have to take care of them now. WHat happened to the mama? predator? The chicks need to be on chick starter and at about 80-85 degrees dropping the temp 5 degrees per week until they are weened off the light and feathered out

4. krzybo

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    Hen was killed by predator. We live in the woods and have to have an electric fence around the top and bottom of the pen to keep predators out and we let the girls out to scratch and when we put them back in we forgot to turn the fence back on. We remembered at bed time and by then something had gotten her and one baby. We are heartbroken.[​IMG] Thanks for all your help. I put them in a box and didn't know they could fly out so they escaped. We are going to let them calm down a bit and go them again. I will bring them inside with a heat lamp. They are already on starter feed so that won't be an adjustment. I really appreciate this forum. I have learned so much.

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Sorry for the loss of your hen, Welcome From Texas! [​IMG]

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your loss. I agree with the others bet those babies in the house. [​IMG]

7. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I'm confused: What happened after they got out? [​IMG]

8. krzybo

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    When we first found the babies we caught two of them and put them in a tall Rubbermaid container and they flew out while we were trying to catch the other one. We left them to calm down a bit and after church we caught them and put them in my coat for a while to get warm and calm, then put them in a big, tall plastic container with shavings and a red bulb heat lamp (inside the house). They are curled up under the light. [​IMG] Will we need to show them where their feed and water is or will they find it themselves? They were eating and drinking fine when they were with Mommy. Thanks for all your help and advice.

9. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    They'll find the food and water just fine. The fact that they are huddled under the light is a sign that they were cold. They'll wake up and run around exploring and find the food and water. You might want to put a cuddly stuffed animal in there with them, so they have a surrogate mommy to cuddle up to. My chicks usually really like that. Just make sure it's one you can easily wash, cause they'll poop all over it too. They won't have a mommy to clean up after them, except you. [​IMG]
    Sorry about loosing you mommy hen and the chick.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Try hanging a feather duster in a corner of the box, with the handle up & the feathers just above the floor. The chicks might like snuggling up under it. I'm sorry about your loss, it's a shame to lose a good broody Mama. But chickens are precocial, meaning they can figure out how to fend for themselves right from the start. These survivors should do fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by