Help!! month old chick and 4 mo old hen swallowed whole plum pit!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sixlittlechicks09, Jul 19, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    We have peaches and plum trees down by our chicken coop. Our hens LOVE to pick at half eaten peach pits, they'll eat off the meat then leave the pit there. But today I was munching on some plums and without thinking tossed it at the chickens. Instead of picking at it one of our RIR hens swallowed the thing whole. I immediately realized that probably wasn't good, and went to grab the other two I tossed. I got the one, but our month old Barred Rock pullet gulped down the other one before I could grab it. They seem okay now but is a plum pit in their crops going to affect them? [​IMG] And if so, what can I do for them? Thanks so much!!

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I am new to chicken keeping, so I don't know much about them, but I think that they will be allright. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] OMG... I was just going to ask the same thing about a cherry pit... but WOW, a plum pit ?!? I would like to know the answer to this also ?!? [​IMG]

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] This is a tough one, because everything I see my chickens eat...they break it down first. My chickens have NEVER swallowed ANYTHING that was that big. Just watch them. I'm not sure if it will block anything or not.. I'll definatly be checking this thread very often!

5. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I watched a duckling swallow a snail the size of a hazelnut(at least) last weekend, he had a heck of a time getting it past his beak, I really don't know how he did it, it looked like he had it stuck for a minute there, but somehow he got around it, whole. I couldn't believe it. Then he did it again. I bet it's ok.

6. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    I worry because plum pits don't break down easily, we still have pits in the yard from last year [​IMG]. Does anyone else have any advice?

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been thinking about this and seem to remember that someone on BYC had said that a chickens gizard is kinda like a rock tumbler and he has taken nice smooth rocks out after... so if it can handle a rock, I would think it could handle a plum pit. [​IMG]

8. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I watched a chicken swollow a very large mouse whole - I was so shocked because it was sooooooooooo much bigger and fatter than the birds beak! But this apparently is normal and I think if that bird can handle that bones and all then maybe your Plum pip will be ok????????

Oesdog - [​IMG]

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Sorry some how posted twice - [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  10. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    I might worry about the pit getting broken down in the bird, the kernel inside contains some compound rich in cyanide.

You might try letting them pig out on some bread soaked in olive oil to help move it through quickly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by