Help! Mosquitoes are carrying my goats away!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ronshoney, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    I have 2 6 mo. old nigerians and 2 5 mo. old mini nubians and a 1 year old alpine/togg. mix. The mosquitoes are terrible! We haven't had enough real hot days and lots of rain lately. They are so bad that when the dog went to pee at the edge of the woods we were both covered. Needless to say he went very quickly. I am new to goats and don't know what to use to help them... I know I squeeze the garlic caps. on the cat and dog food from spring till Nov. to keep away the mosquitoes and fleas and sometimes we spray the dog with the backwoods cutter that we use on the kids but what is safe for goat. Oh and taking the garlic caps helps for humans too with mosquitoes.... but it might keep a few people away too!! [​IMG]

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I don't have goats but I think horse fly spray would work. I used to use it on my sheep when I had them. It helped keep flies, mosquitos, and gnats off of them.

3. Sulteric

Sulteric Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    Horse fly spray? I did not know such a thing existed. I need some for my chickens and for my pool! Is there a site you would recommend get some?

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    If I buy online I buy from

www.horse.com but do check your stuff when it arrives, I've twice had things missing, but they do have the best prices.

you could try either a horse fly spray or a spot on as well, the spot on is supposed to work for two weeks, but it doens't work that long for me.

I also bought a trap (dynatrap) and have a zapper.... we have MILLIONS of mosquitos as well...

this time next year I'll have Muscovy's to eat em... I hope! [​IMG]

5. Sulteric

Sulteric Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    I had a mosquito magnet and it worked very well until it died and there is little service for them. Once I get my tax ID I am going to get two defenders.

The deer flies are a pain when we're in the pool. That may solve it. Certainly would be cheaper with mosquitos than a Mosquito Magnet at ~300 bucks.

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    After hearing mixed reviews, we finally bought a Mosquito Magnet, too. It really works - we've taken back our yard. Unfortunately, they're expensive to buy and expensive to keep fueled. Where you put it is key - upwind and in the shade. And you need to get it out at the beginning of the season to kill the breeding stock before they get a head start on you.

7. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:When you have horses, fly spray is a necessity.

8. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You can find recipes on the internet for making it yourself. Get a heavy-duty spray bottle at Agway.

9. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    here is a recipe for fly spray....

1/3 cup pinesol,
    1/3 cup white vinegar,
    1/3 cup water....

13ChickenGirl likes this.
  10. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    we bought our mosquito magnet 3 yrs ago when they were $500 and it has been worth every penny. Half of our little 9/10ths of an acre is cedar swamp and we never have a problem anymore .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by