HELP -- Moving ducks 3 states away!!

AprilMayAndJun3

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Hi y'all, new to BYC so be patient with me. I'm moving from Tampa, FL to Ft. Bragg, NC relatively soon and need advice on how to transport my 3 Pekins. I recently adopted them -- about 3 weeks ago -- I'm guessing they're about 6 months, the rescue group I adopted them from didn't know so that was their estimation. They're pretty comfortable with me and so-so with the rest of my family. Only one of the girls lets me touch her and even then it's mainly just touching the chest, beak, and chin. Anyways, I'm guessing this trip is gonna take a day and half since there's little ones and other pets involved, we'll be stopping overnight. What care should I take when moving them? What supplies should I use? Cages, bedding, water and food bowls, etc. Any and ALL advice welcomed!!

Hi!

I would suggest a large dog crate to carry them in. Then people getting in and out of the vehicle won't put them at risk (please check to be sure the doors to the crate are fastened before any car doors open!!!).

Ducks can get car sick. And they will need to have water to drink from to stay hydrated and keep from choking if they urp. I made this travel watering dish, per suggestions of Majestic Waterfowl.

Do you see how I cut the center out of the lid to the plastic tub? Left a one inch edge. This helps reduce sloshing.

You may want to use puppy pee pads under towels in the crate. I have found that you can just shake the towels out twice a day onto some grassy area, then you may be able to reuse the towel. Depends on the duck.

They will need to be able to eat and rest two or three times a day. Time to relax a little, eat, then digest. I would not feed them and then immediately depart. This is all to prevent them getting too hungry, and to prevent carsickness.

In case of choking, worst case they may need help. Look up how to help a choking duck, and invest in some half inch rubber tubing or similar (I need to go do something or I'd look that up for you) Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks explains how that works.

Carry plenty of extra water in bottles to top up their travel waterer.

Ducks can overheat in a car - - - I don't know the weather report, but please have a backup plan in case the car breaks down. Carry a small tarp to shade them, and as I wrote, plenty of fresh water. You may have space for a small cooler in which to carry ice. That would help everyone in an emergency. Pay attention to which side of the vehicle they are on, and where the sun is. If you are headed north, then the right side of the car may be too sunny, for example. So some kind of a shade - could be as simple as a towel draped over that side of the crate.

If you can carry some treats to reduce anxiety - shredded lettuce, peas - another reason to have a cooler handy - that would be good.

Doesn't hurt to have a little apple cider vinegar and food grade activated charcoal and triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller, but this is just for a day and a half, right?

That's all I can think of right now...

I've travelled with my ducks before. My setup is relatively simple- sometimes they have to come with me to horse shows 2-4 hours away, when nobody is home. I put them in a dog crate and when we arrive, clean the horse trailer, and put them in there. It's perfect- room to run, easy to clean, and secure. You probably don't have this though?
When on the move, make sure they have access to water, and no food. They must be comfortable- not too hot, not too cold. I like to provide extra deep shavings so they have cushioning if we hit bumps, stop suddenly, turn hard, etc. I keep them in a dog kennel big enough for them to stand up in and move around a bit, while travelling. It works well.
Make sure when you're getting ready to go that you take away their food an hour before you leave. This prevents sickness, choking, etc. Leave their water out as long as possible, and if you can, out when they're travelling too. When travelling, don't take their water away if you can help it as hydration is the most important thing. When we arrive, I let them out of the dog kennel and let them drink, get settled, and then I give them their food.
As for supplies, make sure you have constant access to extra, fresh water. Also make sure they can clean their nares and eyes- when stressed, this can become an issue, I've noticed. Bring grit- it doesn't matter what kind, but provide it along with food! It helps them digest their food- even if it's not green food. That way they won't become stressed and poop out half their food. Make sure you have a half of a bag of food or more, in case your new place doesn't have a feed store nearby. You'll need extra shavings, but if it is a day and half you can get away with just thick bedding and no spare shavings. I also like to bring a pen. Mine roam in the stock trailer and go for a walk outside with me later. Yours can free range under supervision, roam inside of puppy panels, home made wire/wood panels, a truck box, etc.
Good luck on the move!

Back
Top Bottom