HELP! Moving under dog to coop!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenprincess92, Aug 3, 2010.

1. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    I got a new pullet EE bella. All of the others instantly hated her! She had feathers pulled and a bloody beak. Well we just moved her to the coop at 9:30 when their all asleep. Is it true that they will wake up and exept her?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    No. It's not true. The harassment will start up again as soon as the sun rises. The best way to integrate is to integrate several birds at once. A singleton has a very tough time of it. These days I don't even try to integrate a single chicken into an existing flock because I have had failures with it in the past. Can you separate Bella into a smaller space with 1 or 2 passive members of the established flock? If they can become a pair or trio it would be easier for all involved when it comes time to establish one flock- you can (re)introduce them all at once and they can share in the abuse. Integration also takes a lot of time to be successful. They need to be able to see each other for a couple weeks, but not be able to interact. Get familiar with the sight of each other, but not be able to beat the stuffing out of each other. Too many people attempt to integrate too quickly and that leads to either complete failure or a beaten up bird(s).

Good luck. I hope it works out for all.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Nope. not true. Keep your new little one in a smaller see through pen (like a dog crate) and put her in the coop with the rest. Everybody SHOULD slowly get used to her this way, but no one can hurt her. This is normal for chickens [​IMG]

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Yep, listen to them! I just successfully integrated two new roos using this method and all went well!

5. chickenprincess92

Jul 12, 2010
    I have kept her in a dog crate for the past 2 months ,still picking on her

6. chickenprincess92

Jul 12, 2010
    anyone else?

7. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

I have tried but, once picked on they tend to show fear. Once they show fear the other birds are all over that! It's unfortunate but, the only thing you can do is put her our during the day separate at night for a few days and then trying putting her in with them again. I have had that work and fail on separate occasions with different types of birds. Good Luck!

8. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I am in the process of intergrating two 13 week olds with my existing 2, 1 1/2 yr old, BR hens. I had them seperated with plastic mesh for 5 weeks then I put them in the hens run but still kept them seperated with the mesh.

Each day I would let them out for a bit with the hens. They pecked them and chased them until I put up the seperation. This gave the young ones an opportunity to learn escape routes. I did that for a week. I now have them together and they still chase them occasionally and give them a few pecks but things are improving.

I make sure each day that the young ones are getting enough to eat and drink.

I believe the best approach is a gradual one as chickens don't take well to change.

9. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    She needs a buddy. It's always hard to integrate one at a time into an existing flock. If you can get her integrated with another chicken, then slowly introduce them to the flock.
    Good luck.
    otherwise the picking will lead to blood, which will lead to her death

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by