help! muscovy drake gash on chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wulfandwyn, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Help! What do I do? my drake got cut on his chest and no vets available. I have already separated him from the rest of the flock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Clean it out with peroxide, cover it in Neosporin and wait until it heals enough to not be visible to the casual glance. You will need to keep it clean, dry and dressed until it has healed to the point of re-introducing him back into the flock. A little Blukote spritz before you integrate should cover any remnants. Just remember that ducks are...messy... so I would wait longer for re-intros on a wound that my duck had than I would on a wound that a chicken had. No point in rushing him back out to the flock only to have the wound get infected by him splashing about in mucky water. (I have ducks. Any water they have is mucky after about 5 minutes of them being in it.)

Good luck.

3. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Thanks. This is my first flesh wound on a duck and I think we are both in a little shock.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Flesh wounds heal rapidly. I would skip the peroxide - go with the Neosporin and keep an eye on the wound so that it does not become fly blown. Good luck. He should heal rapidly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by