1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help!! muscovy laid eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ashmicole1993, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Ashmicole1993

Ashmicole1993 New Egg

Sep 27, 2015
    I live in New York, 2 hours south of buffalo. We get harsh winters and I have a mating pair of muscovys together. While preparing to clean out their coop I noticed four eggs. Its late in the season. Winter will be here soon and these babies are going to be freshly hatched. What's the best suggestion?

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG]

Has she started sitting on the yet? If not (you can candle them to find out) than I would pull the eggs and have them for breakfast. If she has already started incubating them, than I would leave her. As soon as the babies hatch, you could either pull the babies and brood them in doors, or leave them with mama. She should be fine with them as long as it doesn't get super cold (teens or below). If it does get that cold you may want to bring mama and babies into a heated area (say a garage). Hope this helps!

3. Ashmicole1993

Ashmicole1993 New Egg

Sep 27, 2015
    Thank you. Yes it did! That was my initial thought. To pull them and her to a warm place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by