1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! Muscovy male lost a lot of webbing!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hippmanb, Dec 15, 2014.

1. hippmanb

hippmanb New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    So in Illinois right now the winter hasn't really been too bad but there was one particular cold snap out of nowhere in November that gave my muscovy male, Peanut, some crazy frost bite on his feet. I gave him warm baths and rubbed A&D ointment on his feet every other day and it looked like it was really starting to get better. I even built my muscovies shelter in the garage. Then yesterday night after work I noticed tears on his webbing and I came here for advice. I was planning on giving him a bath tomorrow after school because I was incredibly busy today. Basically he is missing a ton of webbing and I don't know what I did wrong it just got so bad so fast. I understand that there is no way to reverse it but is he going to be okay? I know it would effect his swimming but he never swam anyway. He seems to be walking fine I'm just very concerned about what else this might mean and what further steps I can take to make sure he still has a good life.

2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

you need to consult with an avian vet, over the phone or in person, or even an exotic vet about antibiotics, it could be from a very bad co infection that comes with frost bite

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Infection is a concern with injuries. You may not have done anything wrong, exactly - frostbite happens.

Could you upload photo's of his feet? If he is not limping, there is no swelling, no extra heat in the limbs, and he is behaving normally, then that may be all that happens.

A vet is usually (9.5 times out of ten, we'll grant that sometimes there are vets that are not a good match for the person or the animal) a good idea, and I understand not always workable.

I would put antibiotic cream on his feet at night (the kind without pain killers).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by