Help! My 1-2 day chick can't walk(NOT sprawled legs)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by California Ducken, Apr 27, 2009.

1. California Ducken

California Ducken Chillin' With My Peeps

Please help. I helped hatch a few chicks.(Peel them out) They were almost out and the mom was ripping their shell off very roughly and throwing it around so she could eat it. Now one chick can't stand up but can sit up. And it is very shaky and I have not seen it eat or drink so I gave it a few drops of water.
    After reading several posts I found that I did a bad thing!!! I should have never peeled them out. (3 of them)
    I feel terrible, but their mom was making them bleed and ripping at their wings and flinging them around as they were screaming. I had to do something. I know now I should have taken them away and tried to hatch them out myself.
    What do I do?! PLEASE HELP MY BABIES.

Thank You for anyone that responds.

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    These babies are usually very weak when they first come out (not that I would ever peel any out! [​IMG]) Generally a day or two of laying around, make sure they get water but don't drown them..(they still have a lot of fluid and nutrition from absorbing the yolk) I don't know how long its been since you helped them out, but it takes a while for them to get on their feet.

3. California Ducken

I helped them out30 hours ago. And I worry about putting them out with their mom because she left one out in the hay and I nursed it back this morning. It was almost dead, stiff and non responsive. But it is alive now and doing a little better just sits up.
    Thanks for the reply!!!

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    So how are your babies today?

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Some hens (and people!) are just not cut out to be mothers. It sounds like you will have to take over. Do you have a nice warm brooder set up? A little sugar water might help, but it probably doesn't have to eat or drink yet. Keep it warm and it should have a chance. There is the possibility that it was injured coming out of the shell. Do you have a pic?

6. California Ducken

The babies are doing good today....but one isn't walking yet just still sitting upright. It dosnt have the muscle strength to push forward to a standing position. I will get my camera and take a photo on my next post. Oh I forgot to say that I have bantys. They are my little pocket chickens!!

7. California Ducken

As I was taking a photo I noticed an "outie belly button very small about the size of a small bird poo. But underneath the vent. I dont know if the mom picked the heck out of it and pulled it out when it was closing/healing. And the two black ones eyes are always 1/2 closed. I havent set up a brooder because I was planning on letting the hens raise the chicks. She has others that are strong little firecrackers but these 3 that are weak and need nursing.

Hey is it normal for a hen not to get the broody attitude? The hen of these chicks lets me do whatever and my kids too. But my other hen will take your arm off and goes for your face when you lean in.

I dont like referring to my newbies by a name, because when you give something a name it then leads to an even stronger bond which in turn when you have to put it to sleep your heartache is even greater. Uhh and I have two kids which makes it even harder. 8 years old and 3 1/2 years. As soon as they are healthy enough we will name them.

8. California Ducken

I am waiting for my husband to get the photos downloaded for me.

9. California Ducken

Sorry it took so long.
    [​IMG]

10. California Ducken

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by