Help! My 13 wk old bantam just ate my post earring!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LUVMYCHIKAS, Sep 24, 2015.

1. LUVMYCHIKAS

LUVMYCHIKAS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    I just picked her up and she yanked my post earring that quick! Gone! What should I do or is there anything I can do?

2. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    It is grit now.....

1 person likes this.
  3. LUVMYCHIKAS

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    I don't care about the earring! I'm afraid the post will kill her...cut her insides up!

4. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the backing sharp? Just watch her poo and make sure she is eating an drinking okay. She shouldn't have any problems.

5. LUVMYCHIKAS

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    It's as sharp as any normal earring post is. I'm pretty sure it could do some damage. So far she's still good. We're about almost 12 hrs post earring ingestion. How soon would she pass it? I'm worried sick about her!! I'll never have earrings on again when I'm with the chickens!! LeafBlade12345

6. allbirds4me

allbirds4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2015
    you might want to give her a couple cc's of cooking , mineral or olive oil a day for a couple days and see if that will help her move it out of her system.
    watch her poop to see if she passes it then be sure and get it out of the pen or wherever.
    with any luck at all she'll pass it & you'll find it so she won't eat it again and you will have your poopy post back !
    It could puncture her gut .

7. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

I doubt she will be seriously injured. An earring would have to be pressing on with quite a lot of force to puncture intestinal lining. She will probably pass it soon.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

There is a post on here about a chicken swallowing a valuable diamond earring. They never claimed to find the earring and nothing terrible happened to the chicken. I imagine the earring is in her crop being grit like someone else mentioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by